Venezuelan Safari


Advertisement
Venezuela's flag
South America » Venezuela » Llanos » Apure
February 2nd 2013
Published: February 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


On Monday morning we left Merida with our guide Toto. It was going to take 2 days to reach the cattle ranch. On route we passed through several High Sierra Nevada Andes villages. At 3,900m we took a 3 hour hike to the Black Lake.



We were heading for the Hato El Cedral ranch. A vast and remote cattle ranch in the middle of nowhere, run and owned by the government. This was the reason we came to Venezuela – it is one of the best places in the world for wildlife spoting including over 300 species of birds.





Accommodation has gone downhill since we left Caracas. We stayed at an average posada (inn) in Merida. Our en route stop to the ranch was a new travel experience. We had to stop to collect the keys to the hotel as there was no one else insane enough to stay there. Then we had to collect the cook. No aircon and hot and humid. Basic would flatter it.

On Tuesday afternoon we arrived at the ranch. We were sharing our room with several insects and a frog. The room did have aircon but you needed to put in ear plugs before switching it on.

A quick few quick words about the food at the ranch. Unlike our other venues in the country it was not very good at all. I have searched my vocabulary of the English language and the most descriptive and best applicable word to describe what they gave us to eat was - Mush. Sometimes we got beef mush, sometimes chicken in a mush sauce and sometimes just mush. There was also a choice. You could either eat what they gave you – or leave it.

As I’m sure you are not surprised to hear this ‘mush’ had a rather lucid effect on our bowels.

We left Merida with them in fine fettle – alas... now our offerings have changed from fair to solid to fair to loose.

We also found out on Tuesday night that the English speaking guide had gone on holiday for the next week and so the wildlife drives would be with a local Spanish speaking guide that we couldn't understand. On the plus side though we were also told David Attenborough had filmed here.

Here is the way they work. They take you on 2 safari type drives each day. One early morning and one late afternoon.

The wildlife is sensational. You get quite close up and we’ve seen crocodiles, ant eaters, small alligators, iguanas, capavaras. Hundreds of birds including macaws, eagles, vultures, hawks, storks, ibis etc etc etc. It is an immense property of flat and waterlogged grasslands and the horizons go on forever. Despite the basic facilities this is a truly amazing place and one that we are pleased to have experienced - despite the hardships. Someone could make a fortune here if they did it right.







On Saturday we will get back to civilisation in Bogota, Colombia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



2nd February 2013

Not fit for a princess!
Hi Norm and Pete! Fab photos of the wild life, no photos of the accommodation!!!!!!!! All good with us, we had Juliette and Jon's wedding last weekend which was really great. This week has been the normal round of grandchildren looking after, cooking, shopping etc. Went to a dance class on Tuesday eve, saw Kiss Me Kate with the girls on Wednesday eve which was lovely even though a bit too long, Wednesday eve we went to Met Su Yan with my parents for their anniversary. Off to Sharon and Reuven tonight. Love and hugs to you both - hope you remembered to take your Andrex and antibacterial wipes!!!!!!!!!! xxxX

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0609s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb