onto other regions


Advertisement
Published: June 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

river guideriver guideriver guide

art of pirana fishing
More has happened than can ever be remembered. We have been weaving our way through problems and set backs all the way through the end. We made our way through weather, crazy birds, years of data, hours and hours of unbelievable traffic, car searches with large weapons, power hungry police, and have finally ambled our way to a research institute to try to get the blood samples back to the states. As always there are mind-boggling setbacks to paper and bureaucracy for everything. Consequently Brian will be unable to come with Talyn and I for the rest of our venezuela tour. We are currently in Caracas getting ready for the next leg. We will be heading to Merida to do some more exploration of the areas rivers and mountains. Hopefully we will be able to do some canyoneering, parapente, and possibly return to Los llanos for some a 3 day river trip on the Apure River.

We ended up gathering a respectable amount of data for the research project given the shirt staff and limited time. The data will inevitably be used to reshape the scope of the question for next year's research.

We did take a short trip to the llanos while Brian was busy resolving some visa issues (by leaving the country). The llanos are absolutely one of the most amazing places I have seen. Picture the mid west, with denser taller grass, and fewer trees. THe llanos is basically a plains area with a massive number of rivers spilling off of the Andes, draining the rain-forests and cloud forests, and collecting the water to be deposited in the atlantic via the Orinoco river. The area produces an impressive amount of beef (actually good looking meat, which is rare here) and water buffalo.

We arranged a trip with a local out of Barinas to take us up a river for the day ( I believe the Sucre River). So we got to check off all the animals from national geographic. Caiman, Capybara a rodent the catholic church thinks is a fish), scarlet ibis, turtle the size of small cars, iguanas, too many birds to list, pirana fishing, freshwater dolphins, spider monkeys, and crazy llanos cowboys. So we got the full experience. evidently it is the wrong time of year to go anaconda hunting, next year.

we should return to caracas in a couple weeks to begin our flight to peru. A whole new set of rules, and whole new culture, and a whole new trip.

where ever you are, I hope things are well.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb