venezuela with dragoman overland


Advertisement
Venezuela's flag
South America » Venezuela » Capital » Caracas
January 11th 2006
Published: March 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Native IndiansNative IndiansNative Indians

an indian family in Los Llanos
by tim
We arrived back in Caracas to join our Dragoman group on the 18th Dec. Dragoman is the tour company and they specialise in overland trips all over the world. They supply us as a group a purpose built truck which is kitted out with everything we need to be self sufficient, a tour leader ( Svava ) and a co-driver ( AJ ). Svava and AJ's job is to get us from A to B, sort out campsite/ hostel accommodation, keep the truck maintained and generally oversea the day to day running of the trip. Everything else is done by the passengers from managing the kitty, shopping and cooking to cleaning the truck. Everybody gets allocated a job which can be kitty manager, bar manager, security, set up ( cooking equipmant etc ), bin duty, truck cleaning, back locker ( loading and unloading backpacks ) and more. Cook groups are then organised and off you go just driving around the country seeing and doing things most people don't get to see or do.

By Caroline
Day 24
The Flight leaves today at 4.05 pm for Caracas.
On arriving at the hotel Floresta it was great to be
The Truck The Truck The Truck

some of the guys wer'e travelling with
talking English again,we´ve been finding the language hard work. I must try harder with my spanish.
After having a few beer´s with Jason (one of the guy´s that will be on our trip) Tim and I headed to bed.
Day 25
After breakfast we had our Dragoman meeting everyone seems really nice our leader is Svava and co driver AJ
We spend the rest of the day doing our own thing .
This evening we are having our first group meal it´s only a short walk from the hotel, every thing is very christmassy.
The menu is a bit tricky in the end I just resort to guess work,
Day26
Afterloading Cameron (the truck) we head of for Henry Pittier National Park. First lunch stop is in the park where we are joined by an over friendly pig. Tim tries to head it of with a sandwich the next thing you see is Tim running like hell with pig in hot pursuit we´re all in histerics Tim has to shut himself in the toilet till the pig gives up.
We arrive at our hotel in Ocumare at about 4.00pm, first thing we hit the pool, Dinner is at a restaurant called NoNos, a small family run place with fab food. The toilet was funny I´ve never seen so many pink frills. Back at the hotel I have my first taste of lumpy vodka (any vodka costing between 50p and 2 pounds a bottle) yuck!
Day27
This morning I´m going on a boat trip to the lagoon with some of the group. At the dock the local fishermen are chopping fish with an audience of pelican´s they make me laugh as they wait patiently for scraps.
Once at the lagoon we can snorkle, kayak or veg in hammocks lovely. Ross has to rescue the dog thats hanging around the beach on his kayak as it goes out too far.
By lunch time I´m feeling the effects of the rum and coke, so is Margaret she´s having a job standing.
After lunch some of us decide to swim out to the second reef I didn´t quite make it having got way layed by a group of Venezuelan people and was asked to join them for a drink, conversation was difficult as usual but fun.
Back at the hotel I just about managed to shower and change in time for our evening
The Table DancersThe Table DancersThe Table Dancers

donna and caroline with their clothes on at this point
meal.
Day 28
Today we have a 13 hour drive day to Merida.
On arriving it seems there are christmas celebrations going on everywhere. Trying to get the truck through is a nightmare. It feels like being on a carnival float. I think we must be an unusal sight.
Svava unfortunately clips someones wing mirror so we end up getting taxi´s to the hotel while it gets sorted out.
Its been a long day so its an early night.
Day29
Today we are heading for Maricaibo lake. Its a 9 hour drive over the mountains, stopping on the way at all sorts of villages, a chewing tobacco factory and a sugar cane works.
Once we get to the lake we have a 4 hour boat ride out to the village on stilts. On the way we see Red Howler Monkeys, Iguana´s Fresh water Dolphins and a fabulous sunset.
We arrive at the village in the dark have a quick supper (best sausages I´ve avar had) and head off on a night tour of the village, most of the houses are covered in fairy lights, the little church and the Simon Bolivar square are stunning. One of the houses has a pig laid out on the verander.
When we get back all the hammocks have been put up, half the group go of to bed. The rest of us sit out on the jetty and start on the beer ,waiting for the lightening to start.
The lightening kicks of at about 2.00am Tim runs round getting everybody up it turns out not to be one of the best displays but hey, at least it did happen.
Day30
This morning we have another tour round the village in daylight all the locals are preparing for their christmas festivities.
One of the little kids was rowing round in a washing up bowl, very cute. On our way back we get to see a lot more Dolphins, also stopped for coconuts but I can´t say I enjoyed that experience very much.
We got back to the hostel about 4.30pm, there´s lots of celebrating going on out side most of the night, these people sure know how to party.We sat up drinking and listening to christmas songs till about 1.00am .
Day 31
Christmas Day after egg and bacon breakfast we started preparing Christmas dinner. Dinner was around 4.30, it was great, chicken with
Vicky BoomeVicky BoomeVicky Boome

is this the face of a serial killer
all the trimmings even had brussel sprouts and apple crumble for pud. After dinner we started on the punch Mac had made and Partied the night away till the early hours.
Day 32
This morning we are going on the worlds highest cable car 4700m, by the time we get to the top we´re glad of our hats and jumpers. There are odd patches of snow on some of the peaks unfortunately you can´t get to them with out proper climbing equipment so the snow ball fight is out of the question.
This afternoon we shop for out secret santa presents which we are now saving for new years eve.
Day 33
Today we are driving to Los Llanos. We stop for a traditional breakfast of arequipes ( a corn cake similar to an english muffin ). We also stop at a small stone church and then at our guides farm for hot chocalate.
We did´t get into camp till 6.30pm. After dumping our bags we got straight on the boats for anaconda and caiman hunting.
As we were going up the river you could see piranha jumping, it was´t so funny when one jumped straight in the boat mind.
Caroline with a CaimanCaroline with a CaimanCaroline with a Caiman

looks brave doesn't she

It was´nt long before Helmet (our tour guide) caught an anaconda, only a baby at about 3ft long. He then pulled us into the river bank so we could take pictures, the one thing I did notice, it was very smelly so I won´t be holding another one.Helmet then put it in a bag to take back and show Svava.
Next we headed up a small creek which was very shallow the canoe got grounded the driver had to jump in and push us out. Finally in the creek Helmet spotted a snake in the branches of a tree, I have to say I was´nt too happy when he tried to catch it as I had visions of it coming down on our heads.
Getting back out of the creek was much more fun as the driver just rammed on the throttle we flew out all most taking off.
On our way back Helmet caught first a small Caiman about 1ft long and then a much bigger one about 5ft long . In his infinite wisdom he decided to take this back to camp , I´m glad I was´nt in that boat.
Back at camp we took pictures of the
Tim with ChrisTim with ChrisTim with Chris

there are´nt many people that make me feel tiny but this guy did
Caiman then it was released back into the river. The guy who drove our boat trod on a glass bottle, Ross bandaged it up but it was gonná need stitches,he was taken of to doctors but there were´nt any available,he had to wait till the next morning. Once it was sorted though he was back driving the boat must have hurt like hell.
Day 34
Up at 5am this morning we are taking the truck out wildlife spotting so we will be able to get the roof seats out.
We stop for breakfast on a bridge so we can fish after.
Quite a few guys caught Piranha I only managed a small catfish and some other thing. The best catch of the day tough,´s by far and away was Vic´s Caiman, it was a big bugger too.
At 3pm we took the boat up the river venturing more into the forest, the bird life is amazing.
One of the boat hands catches a very large cat fish which is going to be lunch tomorrow.Heading back to camp all the Ibis were coming in to roost, it´s wierd how they stay in their colour groups, they look like spring bloosom from
Our Trip LeaderOur Trip LeaderOur Trip Leader

svava with her knew best friend
a distance.
we arrived back at camp about 8.30pm, 5 hours is very hard on the arse.
Day 35
Yet another early start this morning we are visiting a farm typical of this area but they have a pet otter called Pepe, he´s very playful just like a puppy really. After lunch we are heading for our first camp site.
We arrive into camp about 5.30pm it´s lovley with proper showers and toilets.
Day 36
This morning most of us are going rubber ringing down the rapids,
know points for guessing who falls of in the first rapids still the main thing is I managed to get straight back on. Further down river the guide found us a rock to climb up so we could jump down into the river and yes guess what I fall over, nice graze up the thigh.
Back on the rings I´m finally getting the hang of steering.
We then had to climb over some rock to the next part of the river, and yes you´ll never guess I manage to walk into a wasps nest, you´ve never seen me move so fast, one of them got inside my helmet so I threw that off
Caroline and MeCaroline and MeCaroline and Me

somwhere in the mountains of Merida
like lightening the guide got one out of my hair, lucky I did´nt get stung. I gave a knew meaning to raving loony.
When we´d finished we got picked up in a tipper truck,now that would´nt happen at home.
We leave camp at 11am arrive at bush camp about 6pm by which time its getting dark.
Camp is by a river and we´re getting eaten alive by mozzies. The toilets are disgusting I´d rather dig a hole. Just to top it off Scotch gets a spider in her tent ,not conducive to a good nights sleep.
Day 37 31/12/05
We leave camp at 6am destination Ciudad Bolivar. Great camp site with swimming pool. We arrive at 4pm giving us plenty of time to get ready for our toga party and BBQ. Mac and Tim make a huge pot of punch.
After we´d eaten the enevitable pool throwing began, nobody escaped. Scotch somehow banged her head on the way in and passed out cold. Jason seemed to think she needed mouth to mouth, but we´re not convinced.
There was also a great bunch of Dutch guys on the camp who were a good laugh, not sure what time I went to bed but the sun was coming up. Fantastic New Year ! One of the best E.
Day 38
New years day feeling slightly under the weather but hey it was worth it. Had a really lazy day went to bed early.
Day 39
Up at 5am. Today we are going to Angel Falls. It was 45 min flight in a 5 seater Cessna to Cainama National park, then 20 min walk to the canoes. At the first set of rapids we got off and walked a short distance to meet it on the other side. Back on board we make our way to a fantastic lunch stop under a small waterfall.The trip from there was much wetter as we had to stay on through all the other rapids.
We arrived at the base of the falls at about 2.30pm and take an hours walk up through the jungle. The way is covered in thick tree roots and large stones. Once at the falls we can have a swim and guess what, yes I fall over again. Tim loses his wedding ring in the falls, good job its not the real one.On the walk back down it chucks it down. By the time we get to camp we look like drowned rats.
The camp is really just a roof with loads of hammocks and a long dining table, the floor is just sand.The good thing is its much cooler so we should have a better nights sleep.
Day 40
Departing 7am and its back down the river. We get lucky and see a family of otters, we also get just as wet and we´re moving much faster. Back at Cainama we have time to have a quick look around and have lunch. We fly back about 2pm and get back to camp about 4pm as we have to wait at the airport for the other plane.
Day 41
Today we leave camp about 12pm, result we get a lay in.
Its a 5hr drive to the Orinocco delta. We take a short ferry crossing
arriving at San Andreas Ranch about 4.30pm.
The ranch is a working ranch so we should get the chance to do some horse riding.
Day 42
This morning we have a 4hr truck ride to the delta. There does´nt seem to be a huge amount of wildlife but its interesting to see the homes of the local indians, their homes are really just shelters on stilts and the only way of getting around is by canoe.
Before lunch we stop to do some more piranha fishing but nobody has any luck, I only manage to get the hook stuck in my finger, no suprise there. For lunch we pull up to one of the locals homes leaving the scraps for the dogs and the lunch we had´nt opened for the family. We got back to the ranch about 3pm and spent the afternoon round the pool. I have to rescue a tortoise from under Vic´s tent he thought it would be a good place to spend the night.
Tim and I had decided to take a room, trying to sleep in a tent in this heat is near on impossible. Scotch was in the next door room , she got back to find a bat flying round , not funny,trying to get it out was a laugh eventually it flew out the door.
Dat 43
This morning we´re going horse riding, my horse was on go slow,
In the end I just gave up trying. Half way round we had to stop while the guides had to untangle one of the cows from a barbed wire fence. Unfortunaly they had to cut one of its horns off, not very pleasant. On the way back my horse still didn´t move any faster even after nearly everyone else passed us.
Spent the afternoon round the pool.Then a BBQ supper, and a good few cuba libres.
Day 44
5.hrs to drive today ,going to the oil bird caves at Caripe.
We arrived about 4.30pm and the place was heaving. After setting up tents its time to hit the heskey and find a seat on top of the truck and wait for the mass exodus of birds, however it did´nt quite happen like that and it was to dark to take pictures.
Day 45
This morning we have a 2 hr tour of the caves. The first section is where all the oil birds roost. Its very noisy and the floor is slippery.You need to watch your footing and with my track record, I need say no more.The next thing I know somethings touched the back of my leg, Vics already had a rat run over her foot, however it turns out the guide is playing silly devils. As we get deeper into the cave the noise dies down as the birds don´t roost this far back. The passage ways are much smaller here and there are some weird rock formations. On our way back something lands on my head I think one of the birds has pooped on me. luckily its only the guide playing around. (very funny). We left the caves about 11am heading for the beach resort of Playa Colarado. We stop at a large shopping complex on route to get punch and BBQ stuff for tonights party. Had great BBQ with lots of cheesy music.
Day 46
I´m going kayaking with Ross, Vance, Donna, Paul,Claire and Tony.It
took me all morning to get the hang of it. Lucky Ross new what he was doing. We pulled up on the beach for lunch and snorkelling, my mask kept filling up with water so I gave up in the end, as it turns out it was just as well as the others were getting stung by small jelly fish.
At lunch time we were joined by Godzilla, the biggest iguana I´ve seen. I fell asleep only to be woken up by the other guys, Godzilla was making a beeline for me, you´ve never seen me move so fast.
On the way back the water was a bit rougher making it hard work.Back on the beach we could see Dolphins from where we´d just come from. Back at the hostel the others had already started on the beer. Another good night had by all.
Day47
Today is our last drive day and its back to Caracas,we got back at 3pm. Tonight we are having a meal at T.G.I´S for Ross´s birthday.
Day 48
Today is our last day unless we decide to carry on to Rio.
Over breakfast with Scotch and Jason, we decide to stick to are original flight plan. Its going to be a bit of hassle getting to the airport as the bridge has collapsed, could mean a 4hr detour and $100 taxi fee. By 3pm we´ve changed our minds we´re staying on to Rio. Tonight we have a group meal farewell to some I´m going to miss you guys you´ve been fantastic.
ps Scotch did you find the wooden fork!


by tim
At the first meeting a few people would become etched in my memory for one reason or another. Firstly there was Jason who we had met the night before and who had given us the drama queens account of overlanding, then Rich who introduced himself as a ballet dancer from Leeds. Mac a 19 stone Brummie with balding hair and massive sideburns was in charge of all things alcohol related and Vicky who, even though she has a face that belongs in Broadmoor ( see photo ) was the first person to light up a cigarette therefore ingratiating herself on me. The total number of passengers was seventeen and for me it was going to be one big party.
Most of the trip was divided into drive days ( some quite long ). Days when we did activities of which there were quite a few and free days when we could do as little or as much as we pleased. On drive days we usually went through a lot of towns and villages and the local people would all stop what they were doing and wave at us. It was a bit like being in a carnival procession but then I don't suppose its everyday they get to see a bunch of gringos passing through in a weird looking bus. The day we drove into Merida we got a little bit of closer contact with the locals, when Svava , trying to negotiate a tricky corner clipped the wing mirror of a parked car. The town was in the middle of a street festival so AJ took the group to the hostel in taxi's while Mac and I stayed behind with Svava. At first the situation seemed quite intimidating as a massive crowd gathered around us, but it soon became apparent that they were just curious about us. I ended up giving some of the kids english lessons. There are probably half a dozen kids running around calling each other a...hole and d...head etc.
On new years day most people woke up with varying degrees of hangover. Some of us decided that the best cure was to start drinking again as soon as possible. So we did. We drank from 10.00 am until 1.00am when I ended up naked for the first time in front of these guy's.
day 45 we were at Playa Colorada. We had a barbeque and punch night which was a riot, but at the end when the only people left up were Caroline, Jason, Vicky and myself we had a disagreement with an American guy. He was sat on his own so we invited him to join us but when we asked him where he was from he said he did'nt want to tell us he was an American because we would just judge him the same way the rest of the world judged all Americans. He followed this with a load more marijuana induced verbal diahorrea, finally telling us that our party was really crap and the music we played was gay. In the end I decided I had had enough and so I told him to f... off. He stuck around for a while even after the two girls told him he was'nt welcome and Jason telling him to f... off, but eventually he disappeared. I thought he had a bloody cheek saying our party was crap but I kind of agree about the gay music, after all dancing queen and the birdie song are'nt the most macho of tunes are they.
The next day I woke up in a hammock, in the kitchen, starkers. I could here the two lads who run the hostel chatting so I tried to pull the sides of the hammock in to cover me until they went. When they left I then had to get back to my room. I ended up running through the hostel and garden with two saucepan lids covering my blushes only to find the room locked because Caroline was in the shower.
When Caroline had gone kayaking with some of the others Pixie, Mac and myself went down to the beach for lunch. We ordered some beef pancake type things and actually got fish but it was ok. Pixie spent the whole time being sick and went home fairly soon afterwards. Mac and I stayed and had a half a dozen beers or so. We were soon joined by boy of about 14yrs old. He was built like a brick outhouse and insane. He sat down next to me and demanded some money. When I said no he grabbed the cigarette out of my hand. He then grabbed my lighter and wanted money to give it back. I took it back anyway so he made a grab for my beer but I was way to quick for him. At this point the owner of the stall we had been eating at came over with a rake to chase the lad off. We decided to call it a day and leave which upset the owner some more, so he had another go at the boy with his rake, however the boy picked up an empty bottle and threatened to throw it at the owner. The owner thought it would be alright to hide behind me. I noticed Mac was hidding around the corner so I joined him. Eventually we paid and left.
Finally back in Caracas we had a decision to make. Carry on our original route to Fiji or stay with the truck to Rio and the Carnaval.

Advertisement



12th March 2006

Thank you for the recent update. Your journey is so very interesting. You clearly both look very well. We await with interest your decision to stay with the truck or onwards to Fiji Take care and love to you both. xx
14th March 2006

great journal cant wait for the next instalment, take care lots of love mary alan daisy molly harry betty and nelly.xxxx ps you look great
7th April 2006

Happy Easter
Thanks for the blog - it sounds fantastic - we are very envious stuck here with work and exams looming! What happened next? Love, the Brods
9th April 2006

All looks life changing
Bit slower than everyone else I have only just read your notes, will you want to come home? Hope you enjoy NZ and Oz they are both fantastic give Spencer,Gail and the children a kiss and cuddle from us. Enjoy xx

Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 9; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0833s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb