Merida, Venezuela


Advertisement
Venezuela's flag
South America » Venezuela » Andean » Mérida
August 8th 2008
Published: August 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We´re in Merida. After our trip back to the airport near Caracas, we flew to Merida. Just arrived yesterday and it´s already better. The city is smaller, slower, cleaner. It was built to hold less people than now inhabit the area. The teleferico scales the Andean slope. It starts here in the city, which sits in a large valley, ad climbs to the peak of this part of the Andes. Tomorrow morning we go up. At about 5 in the morning because it´s a slow gondola ride and many tourists are here at the moment.
The posada we´re staying at is very nice. It has an older, colonial style with stained glass, ceramic tiles, and nice rooms with two beds, not one "matrimonial" bed. I don´t trust Bill enough for one of those.
Today, we drove to a town called Jaji, in the Andes...but we never quite made it. The rode was looking more and more like the drive to Cuyagua, which was a one-time experience. We went, we conquered, and we will not repeat. The lady who runs our posada lives in a town named Ejido, and we drove through that on the way back. There is a new trolley system from Ejido to the airport, and everything around the trolley looks a little more kempt than the rest of Venezuela so far.
By the way, did I mention that Mexico runs through Central America and South America?...it is all one big extension of Mexico.
So, we saw a big waterfall next to the raod up to Jaji, almost jumped in because it´s still hot hot, and came back. Dad had some crap soup and I had some goose soup. The restaurant had a view of the valley...amazing. I´ll upload some photos once I get a faster computer. This is uploading slower than glacial melt. Is that still slow? Maybe, just slower than molasses. cliche, but still slow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



5th September 2008

Wow!
Hi, I finally have a moment to check in on you two. I love the facial hair! Looks like you're both having an amazing time. I'm off to bed and will read more tomorrow. Love, Esther

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0331s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb