Uruguay!


Advertisement
Published: May 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Want a ride? 29 secs
2: A ride on the coast. 19 secs
3: Coastline 24 secs
4: Barbaro! 27 secs
We are at the half way point with our time in South America and thus the trip to Uruguay to renew the visas. We were reluctant at first, most of our students warned us that the country is very boring and dull. The trip started off on a bad note, when we were fined $100 pesos for staying 4 days past our visas allowed. But, we had no choice to go and arrived in Colonia de Sacremento after a 3 hour boat ride. By the way, I spent most of the time on the bus waiting around in the duty free shop to buy chocolate chip cookies, planters dry roasted peanuts and other comforts North America (clinque.) Dain became very competitive with the arcade game Dinosaurs and Cadillacs.

After about 2 blocks, Dain and I noticed a trend of places to rent motos. We checked into in and decided on the spot that the $16 US Yamaha rental bikes for 6 hours was a deal. Dain very suavely convinced the salesman that he was an experienced motorbike driver and without even offering us helmets we sped away.

This decision to rent a motobike, made the day! We cruised the cobblestone streets and highway by the beach, went to a soccer match, found the town fair, had some close calls, did some shopping, ate our parilla, (par-e-sha) watched the sunset and before we knew it, the day had flown by. Again, the fall weather made everything all the more beautiful and the gas attendant (when we filled-up) could not believe that we didn't think it was cold outside. It was a fun trip, although, the stench of gasoline was hard to escape, we both enjoyed ourselves and laughed our heads off at all the pedestrians missing out on such a great deal.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

View from the boatView from the boat
View from the boat

Dain and I work in the top floors of the dark gray building, the business is Technit- a construction supply company.
Soccer gameSoccer game
Soccer game

Uruguay vs. Indonesia. We guessed the players were 18 or younger
OutlineOutline
Outline

..of a castle's walls. Very small rooms, you can see.
Count the kittiesCount the kitties
Count the kitties

I made Dain stop the bike so I could stalk the kittens playing in the tall grass. How many can you see?


19th May 2008

Raptors Success!!
Dain-Train! I don't know if you've heard but we are in the national Final Four! We beat Long Island RFC 85-8 in the round of 16, then we beat the South Side Irish of Chicago 29-21 in the quarter finals. We meet Pearl City RFC in the semi's at home at Infinity Park on May 31st. Wish you were here to play with us! Don't worry, we'll be back next year too! Hugs and Kisses Tafel

Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 66; dbt: 0.1304s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb