The Art of LaBarra near Punta del Este


Advertisement
Uruguay's flag
South America » Uruguay » East » Punta del Este
March 27th 2009
Published: March 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

HandsHandsHands

Famous beach sculpture at Punta del Este. There are three other such sculptures around the world, in Spain, Chile...forget third country.
I hadn´t planned to go to Punta del Este, Uruguay´s version of Miami Beach; but as life unwinds and email conversations lead me down unexpected paths I found myself on a bus heading towards Servas hosts who did not speak English but were happy to have me visit their home. I was apprehensive, but when I met Daniela and Gabriel I could not have been made to feel more welcomed. Using a potpurri of Spanish, English, French words and creative body language and a trusty dictionary we were able to communicate. On the first evening we went out with an English teacher who volunteered to translate and answer any questions. By day two we were discussing philosophy and politics on our own. They are both artists from Argentina who moved here to set up their studio. She works with glass and photography, he is works with metals, and together they make jewelry and pieces of art.
Driving into Punta del Este is like hitting an island of North American highways and apartment suites. Even the billboards increase in the ditches and match the priviliged lifestyles. You can find here the summer houses of Shikira and Julio Inglesias, etc.
When
Art StudioArt StudioArt Studio

One of many art studio and gallaries in LaBarra
Daniela picked me up at the bus terminal we did a quick tour of the postcard-photo sights, the hand statue coming out from the sands, the lighthouse, the fishing port. I wasn´t thrilled with the idea of staying there, and it was wonderful to go to their artsy house in LaBarra, the community across the river. The connecting bridges are unique, they ripple up and down twice, as if to announce that you are entering a community of artists and unconventional thinkers.
LaBarra is a small village filled with art galleries, studios, museums, beaches, mansions and a park of sculptures with onsight artist. The next day Daniela and I toured some of these places and spent the day appreciating art and photographing some of the beauty (created and natural). There are too many photos of me in this blog because we kept switching cameras while playing tourist.
I had a terrific stay in LaBarra.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Rich and FamousRich and Famous
Rich and Famous

Julio Iglesias, Shikira, powerful people from Argentina, Mexico, etc have houses here.
FishingFishing
Fishing

This is the fishing village tucked in front of Miami Beach style buildings
ArtistArtist
Artist

Artist on the phone in his gallary. yes, I asked if I could take photos.
ContemporaryContemporary
Contemporary

If I had the money and could pack it in my luggage.....
CarCar
Car

Daniela met me at the bus station and we drove around in this very vintage car.
BarbequeBarbeque
Barbeque

Gabriel barbequed beef for supper
PhotographerPhotographer
Photographer

Photographing the photographer
SpiderSpider
Spider

Sometimes art occurs naturally. I do not know if we have spiders who make square webs.
Exhibits OutsideExhibits Outside
Exhibits Outside

Photos, paintings and sculptures are inside, and out in long garden and pond there are large sculptures. Sometimes concerts happen here....entrance is free
Sculpture ParkSculpture Park
Sculpture Park

You can see sculptures being created by artist. His works are shipped around the world
GallaryGallary
Gallary

This was my favourite photo on exhibit
Wobble BridgeWobble Bridge
Wobble Bridge

Famous bridges of LaBarra that dip up and down twice.
CrabsCrabs
Crabs

They really do scurry sideways
Bikini BeachBikini Beach
Bikini Beach

Famous place here
LifeguardsLifeguards
Lifeguards

Reminds me of Baywatch
 Museum of the Sea Museum of the Sea
Museum of the Sea

Filled with bones, shells, old photos of communities as they grew into resort towns.
Nice HouseNice House
Nice House

A quick photo while driving by.


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb