Day 17


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru
July 18th 2012
Published: July 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Mama Amelia woke us up to serve us our homemade breaky of coca tea, pancakes and boiled eggs. We finally met her husband this morning, as yesterday he was out fishing. He was a bubbly man who was over excited about the block of chocolate we gave him and kept serving us more pancakes. They were also both so appreciative of all the food supplies we bought them with mama giving me a huge hug and kiss to say thankyou. They waved us goodbye from the port and we continued in the boat to Taquile Island. After an hour uphill hike to the main part of the island we felt as though we were in Greece. The water looked crystal clear and the view was simply stunning. We were informed about the many functionalities of the island. It had a very strong emphasis on equality and none of the 2,000 inhabitants could 'own' any of the land. They all know each other, they all reject western medicine, and every restaurant on the island has the exact same menu at the exact same price. We enjoyed an alfresco lunch overlooking the lake then walked back down to the boat. I slept the whole three hours on the return journey to Puno, waking feeling refreshed. Myself, Lindsay, Ashley, Brooke and Trevor decided we needed some relaxing holiday time seeking out a local bar. A few pisco sours later and after some singing to Craig David we went and got ready for dinner. The same group, and plus dad this time, treated ourselves to a delicious trout dinner. I am going to miss the luxury of enjoying fresh trout almost every night! But I will not be missing the potatoes and rice...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb