Out of Bolivia into Peru


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno
March 30th 2012
Published: March 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Yeah Right !Yeah Right !Yeah Right !

This would make a good Tui add.
After an eary start to get out of La Paz before the trouble started we farewelled Cory as he took Heather and Linton to catch the bus to Puno we ground our way up the 1600 meters out of the city only to fight our way through the markets of Samo Alto.

After clearing the city traffic we stopped for a smoko break at a nice new Plaza.

We arrived to catch the ferry to find quite a que, so after about half an hour we were each allocated our own Ferry Barge, why we could not get all of us on on is beyond my comprehension, so is was game on to see who would get ther first.

Allan was able to drop his back wheel down between the gaps in the decking, he had everyone on board humping and lifting his car up and back onto the deck, lucky for Tony he had gone with the Absolums to take photos.

We found a little 'Restauant' and we all had a good feed that would have to last until we reached Puno.

As we arrived at the border to exit Bolivia, we topped up all our tanks with the spare fuel we were carrying, but unfortunately we couldn't get it all in, so we concealed the rest within the car. We checked out of Immegration, but the Customs guy had just gone to lunch, so we had to wait about half and hour for him to return. Mean while we met Ronny, a biker from South Aftrica, riding a BMW 1200 GS and has been on the road for over three years.

There was no inspection of the cars either leaving Bolivia nor entering Peru, but we still had to pay US$10 to the guy that signs the paper for the cars. As we were about to leave, the Police pulled the chain up to stop us then demanded that I go into the office, but as I got cought last year with the truck, I knew that they would just find some reason for me, and the others to pay over some funds for their benefit, I just showed them all the stamped documents, but he kept insisting and I kept resisting until I finally pulled my get out of Jail emblem and he finally let us all go...Barstard!!

We continued on our merry way and at about the half way point we pulled over for a coffee/tea break and as we sat there, Paul happened to look under my car as there was something dangling down, as it turned out to be my front shock as it had broken the weld that holds it there, it was great spotting by Paul, because if it had dropped right down and dug into the ground, it could have spelt great disaster for us. I unbolted the shock, so it could cause no more problems and we proceeded onto Puno.

As we entered Punu, we were pulled over by Police/Army guys, but in the end they were just curious about our cars, after a photo session we were allowed to proceed, Arriving in Puno, just before dark and over 10 hrs since we left La Paz.

The Brits, Heather and Lintin, had a hassle free ride in the bus from La Paz and had been in the Puno hotel for a couple of hours before we arrived.

Today is a rest day, well for some, as they have all gone off to visit the Floating Islands for a couple of hours,
Bolivian Patrol CarBolivian Patrol CarBolivian Patrol Car

Keeping an eye on us in Coroico.
my mission is to get the shock welded back on.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Look out Paul !!Look out Paul !!
Look out Paul !!

The hazards of reversing off a Bolivian Ferry.
Allan finds the gapAllan finds the gap
Allan finds the gap

Could somebody give me a hand??
Road side work shopRoad side work shop
Road side work shop

A lot of interest in what is going on.
Welding up the shock bracketWelding up the shock bracket
Welding up the shock bracket

We are all good to go again.
Allan's Bolivian workshopAllan's Bolivian workshop
Allan's Bolivian workshop

Removing the under pan that got ripped half off.
Allan's second Bolivian Workshop.Allan's second Bolivian Workshop.
Allan's second Bolivian Workshop.

Replacing the under pan that got ripped off.


30th March 2012

Go Rosco & Co!
Thoroughly enjoying the blog............have fun! Dave D
30th March 2012

Too much hurry and wait.
Hi everyone, sorry that I did not sign out of the last Blog, must have been so excited that I got the shock welded back on. The proof reader was away having fun on the floating Islands and that is why Linton became Lintin got mixed up with the adventures of Tintin....cheers, Rosco.

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0627s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb