A short stay in Puno


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno
July 25th 2007
Published: August 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I was lucky that I had booked a really nice place to stay in Puno, The Hotel had overbooked and we got a suite!! We couldn't really enjoy it because we both were sick and spent a day in bed. I had a cold and Paul had something else. So we slept and watched TV, enjoyed the hotel breakfast and slept more.

26th, We went on a boat trip to the floating islands on Lake Titicaca. The Islas Flotantes are the home to the Uros people. They live a very strange lifestyle. Their islands are made of floating reeds, with more and more reeds layed down every 4-6 weeks to keep the place tidy and the old stuff underneath decays and adds to the depth of the island. All the houses are made of the reeds and the islands have the feeling of walking on a trampoline. Most of the economy of these people is from tourism and giving people rides in reed boats. I had a ride in a reed boat with some of the other people from the tour, to another island, the poor boatman had to have an oar at the back that he pushed back and forward to propel the boat forward. He was puffing a bit.

We caught a bus that afternoon to Bolivia. We had a bit of trouble with the Peru Boarder Police, I will tell you more, if I ever get a reply from the complaint I have sent to the Peru Government. From the Peru Boarder we had to walk up hill at some huge altitude to get the stamps on the Bolivian boarder and the bus was only going to wait for 20 minutes so it was rush, rush, rush. The bus went through Copocabama, a lakeside tourist place that we also went through. We had to change buses here. Then when it got dark we came to a place where we had to get off the bus, the bus went on a barge across a lake and everyone had to go by boat across - and pay extra money. Sitting on a boat in the freezing night did my cold no good. Back on the bus and passing snow on the sides of the road we arrived at La Paz at 10pm. Took a taxi and tried 2 different hostels, all full, so the taxi driver took us to a Hotel in the Central city that turned out to be very handy and convenient to everything we wanted.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 46; dbt: 0.067s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb