More on the Jungle


Advertisement
Published: January 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well we are here in Lima for another camp out- think we are in double digits now in this airport, we ARE the GIA´s here!

Ok were we left off was the canopy and you can see how it better fitted Andrea than Roberto! That was Wednesday and then on Thursday we got up early and headed for the the Tamabopata Reserve-park and hiked 5 km into it mostly through mud! lots of techniques were discusssed and Roberto had flashbacks on mosuito control in the eastern sierra, but with treatment he should recover. Along the way we saw a great group of yellow-blue macaws feeding at a palm tree and making a total racket!! Good pics hopefully and good close viewing.

We made it to the lake, a swamp and really were right back in the jungle ride. But then we popped out and there was this gorgous large lake mostly encircled with palms. The ¨boys¨were reallly talking up the ¨swimming¨and being the astute health advocate and assessing the multicolor of the water, not much blue there, (I was limited in joining them with thier excitement?¿?¿) But we cruised the shore getting great looks-shots of Watson Birds, like a pheasent and very noisy- like a deer snorting, and then a huge group of squirrel monkeys- all around us and the ultimate gymnastic meet. We also say some daytime bats, cool and more incredible trees and flowers. But the boys kept paddling back towards the ROPE, yes the swimming hole and boy it was right out of Huck Finn. So in they went and as the adult and health official I had to follow just to watch out for thier well being!! Oh they had been telling me since the night before that the lake has caymans and piranhas, and it´s true, and very large black caymans- you know those alligator things. Well it was a kick, swinging like Tarzan into the water and teaching some kids from sudamerica how to really swing out to the highest point and then drop in not just crashing into the water. Then Coach Bob had to come out sometime and started the Mariposa Clinic- Butterfly. Jhon showed that Peru has a new way of doing it, from the arm in by the head and out to the widest spot, might have more work to do there!! Then I really was shocked!! no not a piranha attack, worst, Andrea was coming to the water, heck she won´t even swim in crystal clear mountain lakes let alone shark infested oceans, yet in she went. And ,,,,, well,,,,, you will have to see the three part series on her Tree rope swings-crashes- hilarious!! yet somewhat painful. yeah no worries the ER is just down the road! Great time and a good swim with the boys of Tambopata.

We then went back into the jungle and hiked out the remainder of the way to the rio, about 3 km, more mud. and then to our boat and back to the lodge for some cleaning up!! much needed and disinfecting. Another traditional dinner, rice, meat, potatoes and some interesting fruit juices to boot. We also snuck out on a evening cayman trip, using a very bright 12 volt light scanning the banks and saw two. Jackson, the other guide tried to catch one with his hand right under it but it skirted away. Pretty cool creatures. Off to bed under the netting.

Later. and hopefully to Miami tonight and SF manana. See some of you on Tuesday. Maybe more later.
Boberto signing off from Lima.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb