Amazon Rainforest and Explorer's Inn Jungle Lodge and Research Center


Advertisement
Published: October 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We spent 4 days and nights at a jungle lodge 2 hours up the Madre De Dios River from Puerto Maldonado. We spent 3 nights at the lodge and 1 night 3 hours further up river at a camp site.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

The Tambopata RiverThe Tambopata River
The Tambopata River

The Explorers Inn is in the Tambopata Rainforest Reserve. Puerto Maldonado is where the Tambopata and Madre de Dios rivers converge.
Cutter AntsCutter Ants
Cutter Ants

These little guys are amazing. They carry bits of leaf that are 10 times their size and their weight up to 400 meters in order to build their homes. They create a long pathway of moving bits of green. It almost looks like the jungle floor is moving when you see thousands of them lined up.
Snack TimeSnack Time
Snack Time

We took a 10 kilometer hike from the lodge to a lake in search for the giant otter. No otter, but tasty snack time.
Penis PalmPenis Palm
Penis Palm

The actual root of tree. Tree roots tend to be above ground in the Amazon because the ground is flooded for half the year. The white web to the left of the phallace is actually a tarantula nest.
Male TarantulaMale Tarantula
Male Tarantula

It resides on the outskirts of the lodge
Female TarantulaFemale Tarantula
Female Tarantula

The females are apparently much larger, and hairier, than the males. This one also lived near the lodge, about 30 feet from where the male lives.
Brown Tamarind MonkeyBrown Tamarind Monkey
Brown Tamarind Monkey

There was a bunch of them playing and trying to steal bananas near the lodge.
AtaAta
Ata

One of the lodge's two semi-domesticated Macaws.
Macaws Macaws
Macaws

Near our Campsite.
Macaw Macaw
Macaw

Howling at the moon
Macaws and Parrots at the Clay LickMacaws and Parrots at the Clay Lick
Macaws and Parrots at the Clay Lick

When we camped, we were near a clay lick where Macaws and Parrots congregate to eat chunks of clay for their minerals. We got up at 4:30 in the morning to beat the birds to the clay lick. Hundreds of birds wait in the trees above the clay wall. Slowly, they make their way lower and lower on the tree branches towards the clay. If anything spooks them, the birds erupt in a thunder of squawking and retreat to the trees above. Many times the birds creeped lower and lower on the branches only to fly off in an apparent panic, which is what this picture captures. I was beginning to wonder if they would ever fullfil their mission of entertaining two tourists and eat some damn clay! Finally, a few parrots land on the clay, then a few more, then some macaws, and more macaws! Soon enough, hundreds of birds covered the clay face in a sea of colors - and an awesome wave of relief washed over me. I could now go home and tell EVERYBODY that I saw birds eat clay.


12th December 2008

Amazing!
I loved to be in contact with nature. The long hikes early in the morning and the ones after dark. The crew gives you a 5 star treatment and makes you feel you are part of a big family.

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb