5 Reasons why every traveler should visit Lima, Peru


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima
May 13th 2014
Published: May 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

For most travelers in Peru, Machu Picchu and Cuzco tend to be the highlight of the tour and Lima is usually nothing more than a quick layover and an afterthought. However, this charming city has much to offer and spending a few extra days in the city will introduce you to the City of Kings with its spectacular architecture, gastronomical offerings and world-class museums. Given below are 5 reasons why Lima should be the highlight of your next trip to Peru:



1. Local cuisine

Start your culinary foray into the Peruvian cuisine with its start attraction the Ceviche. Choose from amongst the Cevicherias lining the boulevard of the Avenue La Mar to tuck into a mouth-watering combination of raw fish, hot peppers and marinated onions. The capital city is quickly emerging as a world-class gastronomical destination with a variety of local staples like causas and anticuchos. Pair this up with a round of frothy Pisco Sours, the national drink of Peru that is even celebrated with an annual Pisco Sour festival in February. This fruity drink has creative variations made of different tropical fruits and can pack in quite the powerful punch!

2. Beautiful architecture

Lima's architecture is a mix of different styles, a reflection of the country's many cultural influences. The historical center of the city is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, home to the spectacular City Hall, Government Palace and several well-preserved buildings, all encircling the historic Plaza Mayor. Explore Lima with a local city guide to learn about some of the top architectural gems of the city like the Torre Tagle Palace, Monastery of San Francisco and the Cathedral. Take time out for the Plaza San Martin, a busy square surrounded by grand buildings like the Teatro colon and Hotel Bolivar.

3. Nightlife and Leisure

For a vibrant nightlife, the winding alleys and spectacular beaches at the bohemian Barranco district is one of the best locations in the city. Upscale Miraflores provides plenty of options for shopping, dining and even relaxing in one of the many parks in the city. The Malecón finds you interacting with the locals, as they bike or take walks while children play in the park against the lovely backdrop of the coastline.

4. Museums

The museums in Lima are brimming with beautiful treasures from the Post-Colonial and Pre-Columbian periods. There are also several archeological sites to visit in the city. The Larco Museum, housed in an 18th century mansion displays a fantastic collection of ceramics, butis more popular for it pre Columbian erotic artworks. Other museums that capture Peru’s fascinating history and civilisations are Museo de la Nacion, Museo Taurino and the Museum of Natural History.

5. Ancient Ruins

Although Machu Picchu tends to get all the attention when it comes to ancient ruins, Lima does offer its fair share of historical ruins to explore. Huaca Pucllana in Miraflores is a pyramid dating back to the ancient Huari culture that is older than the Incan Empire. Though excavations are actively on, guided tours and even a restaurant on the site offer lovely views to this compact archaeological site. A little away is Pachacamac, a temple complex comprising stone palaces and pyramids dating back to 800 BC. There are also over 300 Pre-Columbian archeological sites spreads out in Lima, a testimonial to its historical heritage.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.178s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0488s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb