Lima


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Miraflores
July 5th 2013
Published: July 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Stairs!!!Stairs!!!Stairs!!!

Everyplace you go in Peru there are stairs. Some easier to go up than others. Channa and I had a good laugh trying to get up these Ina botanical garden.
Well, it is our last day before returning home to Vegas. This morning we visited a pre-Columbian pyramid just a few blocks away from our hotel. the excavation started in the 1980's and they still have more than half to uncover. So far they have found several remains of people who were ritually sacrificed. Interestingly, most were women who were mothers. It is speculated that the Lima people were matriarchal, with women leaders and other women groomed for sacrifice. They also showed head trauma, which is similar to the Inca mummies discovered.

This afternoon we visited the Inquisadors Museum. It was pretty crazy to see the devices the church made to torture people into submission. The museum is on the site where the Inquisition courts were held. if you don't remember what the inquisition was you might want to Google it.

Right across the street the Congress of Peru was in session. The streets were blocked off, riot police were on horseback, armored vehicles with water canyons, men walking around with big guns, and an officer loaded tear gas less than ten feet from our van while we were stuck in a traffic jam with protestors marching toward us
Lima Pyramid MummyLima Pyramid MummyLima Pyramid Mummy

A replica of how several mummies of sacrificial mummies were found, some were children.
less than a block away. It made me very nervous but our driver was not too concerned. He said this happens all the time!

This trip has been remarkable! The weather has been perfect, everyday has been packed with new adventures, the people in our group were great to travel with and Lamanita Travel did a great job arranging Travel details. I can strongly recommend Lamanita to anyone who is interested in traveling to Peru. We had great tour guides, drivers and accommodations for the entire trip.

Well, this will be the last post for this trip. Anyone interested in traveling to Italy next year let me know 😊. Have a great summer and plan at least one adventure, even if it is in your own backyard.

Patty (aka Mrs. Ellsworth, Mom, Nana)


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Pyramid At LimaPyramid At Lima
Pyramid At Lima

This huge pyramid was made out of mud blocks, each hand made. Because it very rarely rai s I Lima mud was an acceptable building material. Hand prints were visible on many of the blocks.
Peru buddiesPeru buddies
Peru buddies

The last day we stopped at the LDS temple in Peru. One of the sisters snapped this photo for me. We are missing 3 of our group who were taking a different route home.
Hard workers!Hard workers!
Hard workers!

It is not unusual to see people carrying huge loads, or like this man pulling his load through the streets of downtown Lima.
Peruvian CongressPeruvian Congress
Peruvian Congress

Just one of many groups of armed police around the congress bldg.


Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.057s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb