Machu Picchu......Finally!!!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Miraflores
May 13th 2008
Published: May 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Runaway Horse 10 secs
2: Machu Picchu View 19 secs
3: Hanging Out on a Terrace 34 secs
Team Machu PicchuTeam Machu PicchuTeam Machu Picchu

Matt, Jenya, Melanie and Bill getting fired up about the one of the top 7 Wonders of the World!
Happy Spring Time Everyone!!!

It is actually the winter season down here in Lima so it is quite foggy on most days. We have about three weeks until we head back to the States so we are starting to plan our return. One of the things we have been doing is trying to find an apartment. We are a little nervous in taking an apartment "Site Unseen."

Every since we arrived in Peru, we have been asked the question, "Have you been to Machu Picchu yet???" We would respond with, "No....not yet, but it is our plan sometime in the future." Matt and Jenya are friends from San Francisco who just can down to see us and they were interested in a hike in the Cusco area that included checking out Machu Picchu. Since the famous Inca Trail Trek was full, we decided to go off the beaten path and do the Lares Trek which is a 4 day/3 night adventure. It was absolutely beautiful with our group of nine being the only tourists we saw until we arrived at Machu Picchu.

The Lares Trek package that we did was basically 3 days hiking with the 2nd part
Cusco TouristsCusco TouristsCusco Tourists

This photo was not staged.
of day three spent taking a bus and train combo to Machu Picchu. Machu Picchu is a pretty amazing place and it looks so much more incredible than the photos we took.

Oh...it looks like there is a new apartment listing on Craigslist! I better check it out!

See you soon!
Bill and Melanie


Additional photos below
Photos: 54, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Sacred Valley Class?Sacred Valley Class?
Sacred Valley Class?

Our tour guide sat us a few times to teach us a few things. This was taken in Ollantaytambo.
Day 1 - Lares TrekDay 1 - Lares Trek
Day 1 - Lares Trek

Matt took a little time to stretch out before the trek.
Washing Up Before LunchWashing Up Before Lunch
Washing Up Before Lunch

Is this really camping?
1st Lunch on the Trek1st Lunch on the Trek
1st Lunch on the Trek

Our guide, Marco, made sure we had everything for lunch. The food was incredible!
Team Lares TrekTeam Lares Trek
Team Lares Trek

We had four countries represented on our team - Ireland, England and United States and Peru (guide and porters).
OuthouseOuthouse
Outhouse

On of the horses seemed to be guarding the outhouse.
Day 2 - High PassDay 2 - High Pass
Day 2 - High Pass

We were breathing pretty hard in this photo because it was at 15,800 feet. Where is the snow?


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 5; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb