Coastal Peru


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » La Libertad » Trujillo
July 23rd 2006
Published: July 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After our sad border-crossing experience a few days back we decided to invest in some post-trauma rehab time at the beach in Mancora, Peru. James managed to hire himself a surfboard and had his first surf in three months and we both managed to get sunburnt. It was good to be at the ocean again. And after an overnight 8 hour bus ride we are now in Trujillo, Peru... We´ve been visiting these ruins from around 700AD. We walked through this city (Chan Chan) which was massive in terms of distance. It was all made out of stone and sand... and there were still some massive walls standing. It was crazy to walk down these pathways in this city and to think about who built these walls many years ago.... the ruins are definitely the oldest thing that both James and I have ever seen.

This afternoon, after seeing the ruins we caught a van to the beach. It was one of those old imported Japanese vans and they managed to get 22 people in it!! At one point we were wondering why the guy was still calling out the window (trying to attract passengers) since the van was already full, but then they stopped and another 4 people jumped on. Lucky most of the people were smaller than James! For dinner I had a whole plate of raw fish!! It´s a local delicacy called cebiche - where they marinate raw fish in lime, onions and chilli. I´ve been wanting to try it for a while but have put it off... not sure what to expect. But it was good! Surprisingly good. Even James tried it and liked it!... so that´s something.





Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1011kb