Tambo Blanquillo


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Manu National Park
May 20th 2014
Published: June 10th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Many of you who have been shaking your head, and have really no interest in bush banos and cold showers would love Tambo Blanquillo. http://tamboblanquillo.com/the-lodge The facilities are really quite nice, hot showers, and an amazing number of great things to do. Although the global economy seems to have taken its toll on other lodges, this one is expanding. All of the accommodations to date have been single beds and share toilets, they are building a few cottages with full sized beds and toilets en-suite. They even had a bar, but I was too tired and not up for any late nights.

At first light we head to the macaw lick to watch the dazzling spectacle of hundreds of parakeets, parrots and big macaws eating clay. Interesting, that this clay lick seems to be much more predictable and the birds are less concerned about our presents than we saw at Tambopata. We didn't have to get to the clay lick at o-dark thirty and even had another boat show up after us. The observation shelter was huge; not really sure how many people it would accommodate. I would hate to be here in high season. But sure enough the birds showed up as advertised. I actually enjoyed looking around for additional birds to add to my list...I guess I had my fill of those noisy parrots and macaws.

In the afternoon we visit another one of Manu's beautiful oxbow lakes from a 125 ft. (42-meter) high canopy tower. omg ..this was amazing. We hiked a good distance from the boat landing to find this amazing observation platform constructed up in the canopy of a huge Ceiba Tree. We just couldn't help but sit and gaze out over the rainforest and oxbow lake, which was much older one than Salvador and was essentially in the process of being taken over by vegetation. Another amazing sunset and night hike back to the boat.

Back for dinner and another short night hike. It's going to be an early morning start back to Cusco...12 hrs?







Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0284s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb