Machu Picchu innit


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Machu Picchu
February 10th 2008
Published: February 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

PeruRailPeruRailPeruRail

This train monopolises the route from Cusco to Aguas Calientes from where you climb to Machu Picchu
Sheena and I wouldn't have made good Incas. First we opted for the bus rather than face climbing the 1000m at 5am from the town of Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu. Then, huffing and puffing, we crawled our way up Huayna Picchu, the mountain standing behind Machu Picchu in the classic postcard shot.

We got the first bus to try and snatch a view of Machu Picchu before sunrise and before the hoards of tourists would arrive around 10am on the train from Cusco. It was worth the effort. Once we had signed ourselves in at the entrance gate we turned the corner and had the whole of Machu Picchu literally to ourselves - not 1 person in sight. It was absolutely magical.

We climbed to the northern end to watch the sunrise over the city with a handful of others before walking across the city to the southern end to the entrance of Huayna Picchu. Only 400 people are allowed to climbed this mountain each day so we didn't want to miss the chance. We were numbers 29 and 30 so we just made it!

The climb up is very steep in places although their are railings at some of the more difficult bits. After an hour of climbing we reached the peak and were rewarded with the most spectacular view of Machu Picchu with snow capped mountains in the background and the sun slowly rising across the once lost city.

It's a strange experience being at a place which you've seen so often in pictures and postcards. It's great when the real deal doesn't disappoint. It does make you wonder what it would have been like back in 1911 when it was discovered hidden in the thick forest which now surrounds it.

Some of the methods the Incas employed were pretty advanced such as farming steep land by shaping the slopes into terraces and the brickwork is fascinating in the way they have shaped rocks to fit exact spaces. It's odd that 500 years later their descendants are using mud bricks.

We walked the trail down from Machu Picchu through the forest back to town and were treated to a fashion show by the staff on the train back home. All quite bizarre, cringeworthy and out of place with the scenery we were passing. A tacky end to what had otherwise been a
Spot the odd one outSpot the odd one outSpot the odd one out

Sheena being very brave with the llamas
incredible day.

We're now in Arequipa where we have another 5:30am start tomorrow. We're going trekking in the Colca Canyon (The world's deepest canyon apparently) where we should have some close up encounters with condors.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Inca StepsInca Steps
Inca Steps

These steps are a little daunting with a sheer drop underneath!
A standard homeA standard home
A standard home

The roofs were thatched back at the time.


12th February 2008

Great job
Excellent pictures of Machu Picchu. Smart to get there before everyone else. Sheena looks great in that picture, seriously. The backgrounds are so lush and the mountain back drops are stunning. Glad you are enjoying yourselves.

Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 82; dbt: 0.1125s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb