Trek Day 1: Lares Valley


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Lares Trek
April 18th 2011
Published: July 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Lares Hot SpringsLares Hot SpringsLares Hot Springs

Our first campsite at the Hot Spring in Lares Valley.
My alarm went off at 2AM this morning so I forced myself out of bed and into the shower. My head was pounding, I was suffering from the high altitude, I took a few pain killers and hoped for the best. Hannah and I got all our gear ready then headed downstairs to the foyer to meet the rest of the group, we were the first to arrive. I filled my hydration pack as we waited while one-by-one people emerged. Soon enough we loaded two buses and jumped aboard towards the Andean highlands. The first stint in the bus took some time which gave us all the chance to catch up on some sleep. Though as the bus went further and further into the Andean highlands the roads became more and more dangerous. We stopped for a few great photo opportunities but besides that, were in the bus for a good 4-5 hours before we stopped for what felt like lunch, but no, we stopped for breakfast. We were each given a lunch bag and also had an opportunity to try some cocoa tea. Cocoa tea was a traditional tea in Peru which helped with the symptoms of altitude sickness, though
PeruPeruPeru

A local Peruvian family in a small village market.
feeling much better than earlier I gave it a miss for now. Shortly after breakfast we jumped back on the bus and were on our way again.

It was a very short drive before we arrived in a tiny town with a busy market going on in the town centre. We were given a little time to explore the market and get a feel for the local Peruvian lifestyle and culture. It was full of unusual stalls selling strange food and other random bits and pieces. Max led us around giving us insight to some of the more unusual items which were selling, such as a homemade corn beer. We bumped into two children who he brought over and asked a few questions to. He advised us that we may take photos, as long as we showed them, and as we did their faces lit up. Very rarely do they actually get to see themselves or even have access to mirrors, and to see themselves on a camera must have been very unusual for them, they were fascinated. After another quick lap of the market we returned to the bus and were on our way again.

But now
Lares ValleyLares ValleyLares Valley

Our coach, completely stuck, on a waterfall of all places.
most of us were keen on getting started on our 3 day trek, though due to us having very little time to aclimatise there was a slight change of program. Our campsite was being moved to a lower altitude to give us all extra time to acclimatise and rather than walk uphill to reach it, we were going to walk downhill instead. Both buses pulled over while the charity challenge crew put our luggage on another truck to go straight to the campsite, but also to remove as much weight as possible, we had a really rough road ahead. The bus struggled slowly uphill, so much so we had to get out a few times to remove the weight, but eventually we ran into a small steam which across the road. We got out and watched as the bus charged through and got stuck right in the middle. And after trying and trying to free it the charity challenge crew had no luck. Soon enough half the town were backed up behind the bus trying to help where they could, it was an amazing sight, people everywhere.

After some time watching the helplessness of the charity challenge crew trying
Lares ValleyLares ValleyLares Valley

The road blocked, the entire town came to help.
to free the enormous bus, George decided that we should grab our stuff and walk from here, the trek had begun! It was a slow and steady pace walking on gravel roads, through the mountainside and over a stream, the landscape was stunning. Although the walk overall so far was relatively easy, it was the altitude which made it extremely tiring. However after following George around the mountainside for over 3 hours we arrived at our campsite in the early afternoon. It was great, the charity challenge crew had setup all our tents, our bags were out and even better, lunch was ready in the dining tent when we arrived. Lunch was pretty much the same as I had yesterday in the restaurant, but I enjoyed it none-the-less. After an exhausting first day of walking most of the group spent the afternoon relaxing at the campsite. The great thing about this campsite was the hot spring pools scattered around which all of us but Hannah were able to enjoy, Hannah’s swimming gear was in her lost luggage. That night we had an unusual dinner of Quinoa and had all collapsed in our tents soon after, we were all exhausted.
Lares ValleyLares ValleyLares Valley

Beautiful Peruvian countryside as we set off on our trek.

Campsite Altitude: 3,200M
Step Count: 13,388

Accommodation:
Tent - Lares Hot Springs


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Lares ValleyLares Valley
Lares Valley

A dog soaking up the extraordinary scenery.
Lares ValleyLares Valley
Lares Valley

On our acclimatisation trek through Lares Valley
Lares ValleyLares Valley
Lares Valley

Beautiful Lares Valley.


Tot: 0.337s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 72; dbt: 0.2289s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb