Sunrise over "The Great Gig in the Sky"


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco
May 2nd 2007
Published: May 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone,

Those of you who are fans of Pink Floyd will know that the highlite of DARK SIDE of the MOON is the incredibly moving "The Great Gig in the Sky"... well imagine listening to that while you are sitting in the Sacred Lost City of Machu Picchu while watching the sun come up...!!

And hard to believe, but today was even better than yesterday... similar to Everest, just not possible to put into words... absolutely overwhelming...

I got up at 4:00 this morning (was too excited to get very much sleep) and along with a my friend from the UK, Richard Dawes, hiked up trail (close to 2,000 feet elevation gain) with our flashlights to get up there for the sunrise spectacular...

I got lots of incredible video clips and pics... we then walked around a bit, and with some other people that we met on our hike up to the top of Putukusi yesterday, we hiked up another 1,000 feet or so to the peak that overlooks the site, Wayan Picchu...

they allow 400 people to go up during the day, because the trail is pretty steep and tight, and traffic jams develop... near the top, to get right onto the peak, you have to climb through a real tight small cave tunnel about 20 feet long... awesome view looking right down on top of the ruins...

I chose that spot to release the rest of Greg´s ashes that I have been carrying with me on this journey... took some video as the dust and pink flower petals that i tossed out along with descended down towards Sacred City... was very moving and emotional release as i sat on that peak, said some prayers, and just soaked in the moment...

Went back down and spent time wandering around exploring and taking pictures -- what an incredible place... did not want to go, but had a 2 hour train ride and then 2 hour taxi ride ahead of me...

Anyhow, will be flying out to Lima tomorrow, and then connect to Mexico City and hopefully get right thru to Cancun by evening... meeting Redina at airport on Thurs nite...

Hope you are all doing well, take care...

Cam


Advertisement



Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0493s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb