Chinchero Village outside Cusco


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco » Cusco
March 15th 2011
Published: March 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Whilst we were in Cusco we decided to take a day trip (independently done) to Chinchero which is 40 minutes north of Cusco by local bus. The reason we wanted to go there was for the market and the Inca site just outside the village. What we didn't expect was a "childrens carnival", which in fact was going on in all the towns that day. The ambiance was incredible, teams from other districts danced and sang in traditional costume. You can see that everyone was there and involved to support or play a part in this carnival. Its one that finishes with water and foam being used by groups of kids and some adults to drench each other, we were lucky once back in Cusco not to get wet!
Once we were away from the center of festivities it became very quiet in the Chinchero Inca ruins, it seemed everybody was at the party! apart from some locals having a meeting, all the male and females separated but sitting on the walls of the ruins. On our walk we also bought silver for Lynn and saw our bright green humming birds feeding off the trumpet flowers.
On the way back we discovered shops with poles and red paper or flags on them. this meant they sold a local beer called Chicha which is made with corn and is a speciality of Chinchero and the area too. Have not tried it yet though!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.1116s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb