Alpaca for Dinner


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco » Cusco
January 22nd 2011
Published: January 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Greetings friends and fam,

Yesterday was our first full day in Cusco and it was unreal. The city is very colorful and vibrant.

We live on the outskirts of the city, in the hills. We have a beautiful view of the city and the mountains from our rooms and roof.

We start everyday with breakfast, usually composed of bread & jelly with avacados and eggs. It's delicious. Lunch, if we eat with our family, is always started with a bowl of soup, followed by rice, chicken and a vegetable. Again, always very good. Dinner is usually the same as lunch so we're starting to eat one meal out. Meals are very cheap here. We can get a meal at the market for 3 or 4 soles, which is like a $1.50 US. If we decide to go "upscale" or eat at an "american" restaurant, meals are typically 15 to 25 soles. Everything is local, homemade and fresh. It's so wonderful. There are lots of exotic fruits and meats as well.

Yesterday we spent the afternoon in the center of the city at the Plaza San Pedro. It is super busy. There are a lot of tourists there. We found an Irish Pub, Paddy's, claimed to be the highest Irish owned pub in the world, standing tall at 11,156 feet.

There are tons of stores around the Plaza. So much that we'll have to go back. There are lots of street vendors as well, mostly selling paintings, jewelry and pictures with Alpacas and Llamas. Zach was extremely thrilled by this and took his picture with nearly everyone we saw. There is a HUGE market next to the Plaza that sells absolutely everything. They have an area for food, we tried the fish and it was very tasty. Served fried with rice, beans, vegetables, papas fritas and it was only 3 soles. They sell raw, fresh meat. It was disgusting. In the other part of the market they had tons of textiles, fruits, bags, hats..everything.

We went out last night, our first night out. We went to a very chill bar called "Indigo". It was a hookah bar with couches and swings. It was awesome. I wish we had something like it back home. We played connect four. They played a lot of old American music, which was fabulous, Prince, James Brown, The Stones, Dr. Dre, Tupac, Stevie Wonder. No complaints there, we'll definitely be back. Zach ordered Alpaca, clueless to the fact he'd be adoring them all day long, and assuming it was steak. He enjoyed it. He's had a lot of firsts this week, these include, squash, Alpaca, fried eggs, chocolate oatmeal and potato pudding soup. There are many more to come.

We're looking forward to a day back in the Plaza, try some more new food and explore the city.

Hasta luego,
Jennifer

Ooh, also, check out Rob's travel blog > www.mytb.org/rob117



Additionally, if you'd care to send us any mail, send it to >

Fairplay Peru
Jennifer Trebisovsky
Pasaje Zavaleta C-5
Wanchaq, Cusco, Peru

Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb