Cuzco, surrounding areas, and hike


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco » Cusco
October 20th 2008
Published: October 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Pictures from Cuzco, our hike through the Andes through various lands of the Cachicama community, and some of the areas around Cuzco (Ollantaytambo, Tipon, Pikillacta and San Geronimo).


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Stina and llamasStina and llamas
Stina and llamas

One picture of baby llama and little girls at local market in Cuzco...2 soles.
Copyright infringement?Copyright infringement?
Copyright infringement?

It was actually a fresh juice bar, and had nothing to do with the internet.
Bus to San GeronimoBus to San Geronimo
Bus to San Geronimo

The lady at the front desk of our hotel told us that a suburb of Cuzco was celebrating the day of its Patron Saint, San Geronimo (the town was also called San Geronimo. We took a collective taxi out there, followed the parade into the party, and proceeded to celebrate one day of the week long celebration. We shared in their feast of semolia soup accompanying roast pig. We didn't stay around for the guinea pig (Cuy), however. We also partook in drinking beer by case - of which each new case they opened had to be ceremoniously blessed by placing it in the center of the courtyard for all to see and a short song by the band - and checha, a home-made corn wiskey. All this after spending the first half of that day sick in bed.
Los Real EmperadoresLos Real Emperadores
Los Real Emperadores

The name of the band playing at the San Geronimo Festival. I have a business card if I am ever in need of their services, which can most aptly be described as providing the sourndtrack for drunken revelery.
Trumpet Player in San GeronimoTrumpet Player in San Geronimo
Trumpet Player in San Geronimo

A little later, he had to bow out of the procession to piss on the wall. The band was by far the drunkest section of the fiesta. And I am pretty sure they were professionals hired for the even. By early evening, only about half of them could play at any given time.
San Geronimo HimselfSan Geronimo Himself
San Geronimo Himself

Not really, but while we were hanging out with the party, he was in charge of the party - serving the food, collecting the dirty dishes, getting the alcohol, and ensuring that everybody had a dancing partner, including Stina and I. He was clearly also the best dancer.
Hiking llamasHiking llamas
Hiking llamas

Our hike was somewhat of a traveling caravan. 4 hourses, 6 llamas, 6 porters, 1 guide, 2 tourists, and a puppy named Rambo.
Little girl on the pathLittle girl on the path
Little girl on the path

She was just sitting on the side of a cliff like kids in the United States summarily sit in front of the TV. I think she probably knew we were comming just to smile for my camera - and get some candy for it.
SchoolgirlsSchoolgirls
Schoolgirls

On day one of the trek, near the town of Socma
Day one of the trekDay one of the trek
Day one of the trek

We reached this waterfall about 3 hours after beginning the trek. Part of the trail had given way in a landslide only a few days before we arrived. But we trucked on through the bare mountainside to get there. It was worth it.
Lagoon on day twoLagoon on day two
Lagoon on day two

The first four hours of day two were spend going up to 4400 meters. I think we did about 1000 vertical meters over 3 hours. When we crossed the pass, the other side was covered in fields of golden grass and interspersed with lagoons. It was the end of the dry season, so many of the lagoons were low, if not empty.


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb