out into the vast pacific


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Callao
January 29th 2011
Published: January 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

South America


Saturday Jan 29th, 2011

Off the West Coast of South America

Latitude 12 degrees 47 minutes South- Longitude 80 degrees 14 minutes west

We are heading out into the vast Pacific Ocean and there will be nothing on the horizon for several days. Behind us is Lima, Peru, a city of contrasts. Both poor and affluent, Lima is a huge sprawling metropolis with pollution and all the problems of a modern city. Even though it rarely rains in Lima the city is very green and lush. We found out that huge water trucks go around the city in the early morning watering all the street trees and flowers. Jane and I walked many miles shopping in the small Indian markets and moving about with the local people. They were smiling and friendly with only a few beggars and we felt safe in the areas we went. One stop on our route were the ruins at Huaca Pucllana, a temple complex that was built between 400 and 700 AD. We paid 10 solas each (about 3 dollars) and had our own English speaking guide that showed us around the complex. Millions and millions of hand-made adobe bricks were used to build a temple that stands in the middle of what is now an upscale suburb of Lima. For hundreds of years the local people didn’t know it was there they just thought it was a hill. Next to the ruins was a restaurant where we got something cool to drink. It is obviously the place to be for Democrats with pictures on the wall of Bill Clinton, Jimmy Carter, Madeleine Albright and many others. We then walked to Love Park on the ocean. The statue there of two lovers kissing is supposed to bring good luck to all couples who visit and embrace in its presence. Based on the action I got Jane and I should have great luck for many years to come.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0631s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb