Baths, Bodies and Burial Sites!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cajamarca
July 7th 2007
Published: July 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So after our interesting nights sleep, we had a six hour bus ride to Cajamarca so of course by the time we got there all we could do was find a hostal (the owner of which seemed quite surprised we wanted to stay there!) and then go out for ice-cream (anyone see a pattern here?!) at, according to the LP, the best ice-cream in the North of Perú. It was good..but not a patch on Ec.! Decided we were the worst travellers in the world and we never do anything we plan, so hailed a passing mini-bus and headed 8km out of the city to the "Ventanillas de Otuzco". These are pre-Incan structures made up of hundreds of funerary niches built into the hillside. Our charming teeneag guide tried to explain, in Spanish how they fitted them in..I believe breaking and shoving made up the general gist..!
Caught another public mini-bus (god damn them - me poor ol´knees) back to the town of Cajamarca for dinner.

On our new "better traveller" kick, we decided to go to the Baños del Inca the next morning. Had an interesting bus ride there with a female driver who kept complaining how her son (who worked the door) kept letting too many people in and had broken two floors now, how the roads were too narrow for her bus..so we had some interesting turns, then decided half-way through to get us out of the bus and put us in the front seat as it was too squished for us in the back, then the door fell off thanks to her son being rather enthusiastic with it, although he did manage to fix it and then the final and best part of our journey was when the gear-box managed to fall out! So we were just coasting down the road, until she decided she couldnt fix it and chucked us all out! Fortunately we were only a few blocks away from the Baños. Which was an exact replica of what the Incas used..ahem..! We decided to go for a private bath which turned out to be an entire complex with massages and various different options of baths. We just randomly picked one that we could pronounce and ended up in a little room each with a sunken bath and boiling hot water, which is heated by the spring! However, we were very clean when we came out - which is a miricle in itself!

Headed to Trujillo after lunch and checked into Casa de Clara - how glad were we when we realised how long we would be there..


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 75; dbt: 0.0616s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb