Background: Ancient Peru was the seat of several prominent Andean civilizations, most notably that of the Incas whose empire was captured by the Spanish conquistadors in 1533. Peruvian independence was declared in 1821, and remaining Spanish forces defeated in 1824. After a dozen years of military rule, Peru returned to democratic leadership in 1980, but experienced economic problems and the growth of a violent insurgency. President Alberto FUJIMORI's election in 1990 ushered in a decade that saw a dramatic turnaround in the economy and significant progress in curtailing guerrilla activity. Nevertheless, the president's increasing reliance on authoritarian measures and an economic slump in the late 1990s generated mounting dissatisfaction with his regime. FUJIMORI won reelection to a third term in the spring of 2000, but international pressure and corruption scandals led to his ouster by Congress in November of that year. A caretaker government oversaw new elections in the spring of 2001, which ushered in Alejandro TOLEDO as the new head of government; his presidency has been hampered by allegations of corruption.
Photos from Ayacucho
Blogs from Ayacucho
Latest Blogs from Ayacucho
- December 24th 2012 Off the "Gringo Trail" and back on it again...warning two references to Time Team!
by Words: 3645 Photos: 14
- February 22nd 2012 High in da Andes
by Words: 1177 Photos: 32
- May 20th 2011 Its my dental decay...and I´ll cry if I want to.
by Words: 1055 Photos: 0
- April 26th 2011 Semana Santa, Peruvian Style
by Words: 625 Photos: 10
- April 9th 2011 I apologise in advance....
by Words: 559 Photos: 0
- March 24th 2011 Oh how I love airports....
by Words: 610 Photos: 0
- October 13th 2010 Een extra rondje in de bus
by Words: 4216 Photos: 219
- July 16th 2010 A catch up.
by Words: 812 Photos: 0
- July 11th 2010 10) Wari and Quinua, from Under the Influence of Altitude
by Words: 2527 Photos: 14
- July 10th 2010 9) Ayacucho, from Under the Influence of Altitude
by Words: 1786 Photos: 4
- July 9th 2010 8) I Can't Feel My Knees, from Under the Influence of Altitude
by Words: 1583 Photos: 4
- June 22nd 2010 It was the best of times, it was the worst of times....
by Words: 479 Photos: 0
- May 28th 2010 Ankles and bladders
by Words: 816 Photos: 0
- May 11th 2010 A catch up...
by Words: 429 Photos: 0
- April 24th 2010 Un poco post...a little post
by Words: 691 Photos: 0
- April 13th 2010 To eat or not to eat...
by Words: 315 Photos: 0
- April 7th 2010 Bull eating.
by Words: 361 Photos: 0
- March 28th 2010 Return of the throat testicle
by Words: 466 Photos: 0
- March 16th 2010 My first post all the way from Ayacucho, Peru!!!
by Words: 601 Photos: 0
- February 10th 2010 Deep in the Andes....
by Words: 361 Photos: 23