Desert, Volcanoes & Flamingos


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Arequipa
May 4th 2010
Published: May 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Since last writing we've been in the north of Argentina, Northern Chile & now Peru! needless to say we're abit tired!! We had a nice few days in Salta la Linda. Its a very pretty city, unfortunately we were both unwell with a cold but it was a nice place to chill out & we were feeling better in time for the hostel's weekly BBQ & folk dancing night which was great! We met another english couple & travelled with them to JuJuy further north. From here we took a bus to Purmamarca which has beautiful multicoloured mountains. Then we were ill again with tummy bugs but still managed to enjoy a fantastic steak on our last night. We then took a bus over to San Pedro de Atacama in Chile. It is a really remote small town in the middle of the desert, very dusty!! We stayed in a nice hostel which was overun by cats & dogs(good for us as missing pets!!!) We did a few day tours around the region including visiting the valley of the moon, a landscape which bears great resemblance to the moon. We also visited the worlds 3rd largest geyser field, which involved getting up at 3am in order to get there in time for the geyser activity. it was well worth it & the tour company utilised the hot water for breakfast- bolied eggs & hot chocolate!! This was very welcome as it was -10 degrees! We were sad to leave the animal friendly hostel as it began to feel homelike & took an overnight bus to the border with Peru, we then got straight on another bus to reach Arequipa. Arequipa is Peru's richest city & has a very beautiful backdrop of mountains & Volcano Misti. We have had a few days of exploring the city & also did a mountain bike tour of the countryside. We were told it was pretty flat, well it wasn't!! Mark & the young fit guide had no problems with the hills but I was so out of breath & had to keep walking, which was a bit embarrasing, the guide was very nice & said it must be the altitude. ( I think not probably the fact I've sat on my bum alot recently!!!) The scenery was lovely and once the uphill part was over I really enjoyed it, until we started to descend on serious off road tracks my bike was skidding all over the place but i made it back safely with a good bit of saddle sore!!! Tonight we are getting the bus to Cusco & on Sunday we start our 9 day tour of the amazon (Mark's dream!! ). He really wants to see an Anaconda, I'm not so sure!!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb