Ecuador!!


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » West
August 22nd 2008
Published: August 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

sorry it´s been a while...I have had no internet access, and when the chance is there, the internet is snail and frail. well, we´ve done some travelling since Chile. We flew into Quito and stayed a night. It´s a jump back in the Venezuelan direction as monetary means go. It has definitely been the poorest we´ve seen. We rented a car and drove from Quito to the coast. The carretera was as scary as the rest have been - it wound down a giant mountainside into banana plantations, rice patties, and bamboo and mud hut concoctions burning there waste on the side of the road. The people are beautiful as all have been. The language is a sort of Spanish offspring, but with a costeño slang. Words are sung so much that it is a feat just to wrap your brain around the sounds in your ear that come spitting from the tongue and teeth of locals.
We have stayed on the coast for a few days now. We have also found a peace that is unique to this part of the world.
This morning, we woke in our coastal cabaña to fisherman hand-hauling their line in from the warm pacific. About 100 yards apart from eachother on the shore were two groups of 8 men hauling in each side of the netting, to meet in the middle after pulling in enough line. The local birds were swirling around overhead and swooping down ground level to pick up loose fish.
The shrimp has been amazing, and tonight we are having some home-made burgers with a man from New York who moved here thirty years ago after marrying a local woman.
Gotta go.

Advertisement



5th September 2008

Hi again.
Well, I didn't go to bed yet because I wanted to see what happened next. Logan, you are an excellent writer! I'm really enjoying your experiences, and you are funny. I guess this is the last entry, because there isn't a "next." Hope all is well and I'll check in soon. Love, Esther

Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0836s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb