Montanita (The Beach)


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » West » Montañita
May 24th 2011
Published: May 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


The Interseting Hostel The Interseting Hostel The Interseting Hostel

Although it looks cool, it was not the greatest.
A few weekends ago, my roommate and I decided to get as many teachers together as we could and go to the beach. So, we ended up getting about 10 people together (which was very difficult) and then we headed to the beach. As we drove down off of the mountains and towards the beach we could feel the warmth and the humidity immediately. Cuenca has nice mild weather, but every now and then it is really nice to feel some real sun. On the way there was decided to rent a van because it is much faster than taking the bus and we only had Friday, Saturday and Sunday off. Well, it turned out that the driver of the bus had no idea how to get there, and did not bother looking at a map or getting directions. I guess he thought that all of the gringos in the van knew where they were going. Ha ha. Well it ended up taking us longer to get there than if we would have just taken the bus in the first place.
When we got to Montanita we started looking around for a hostel. We were traveling on the national voting holiday and therefore were guaranteed to find an open hostel pretty easy. We asked around to a few places and most of them were offering a room for $25 a person, which is the equivalent of a fortune in Ecuador. So we kept looking. We ended up finding this kind of sketchy, but pretty cool looking hostel that charged a whopping $7 a night. We went in set down our bags and got into our bathing suits. Then we tried to use the bathroom to find that there was no running water. After the three “Rasta” guys running the place told us that there would be water later, we headed to the beach.
It was so amazing the beach was empty because of the national voting day. This beach that by reputation is always super crowded with people was quite and wonderful. We were able to get drinks, food and whatever we wanted pretty cheap and pretty easily since there was nobody else there. The liquor stores, restaurants and bars were technically not supposed to be serving alcohol because of voting, but most of them didn’t care. If one said no, then you could literally walk to the place
View of the BeachView of the BeachView of the Beach

This view was from our favorite little beach bar in Montanita. They made amazing beverages from fresh fruit.
next door.
Aside from seeing the occasional dog orgy and getting eaten alive by sand fleas, I really liked Montanita. We were able to get amazing fruit daiquiris and very yummy breakfasts for a pretty good price. We also discovered this hole in the wall called Rasta Pan. This one guy with a little tiny oven makes these very fresh little pizza/calzone things that are to die for. They are pretty big and he sells them for $2.50. Pretty good deal. If anyone is looking for a great lunch or snack, or if you are simply waiting for the bus, then you have got to give this place a try. His little shop is right next to the bus station, but sometimes he has people walk around with baskets of them for sale.
As for our hostel, it did not turn out to be all that great. We never actually did get running water, but we did have highly functional mosquito nets that protected us. I do have to admit that we did not stay at this place the entire trip. We ended up going to a hostel that was downtown. This hostel actually had water and the
Miranda and IMiranda and IMiranda and I

Roommate picture at the beach.
shower actually had hot water, and this is a major find in Ecuador. They hostel was only $7 and it offered a free breakfast and a free drink. Well, they did come through on the drinks. They gave us all shots of this really disgusting sugar cane alcohol and then we each got a large bottle of Brahma beer. Brahma beer is actually from Brazil, but just like Ecuador it also has terrible beer. I am so sick of Pilsner and Club. If anyone thinks that Coors Light tastes likes skunk, they have not tried these two beers.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Where I got sand fleasWhere I got sand fleas
Where I got sand fleas

It was really neat though. When the waves came in the water gushed through all of the cracks in the rocks.
Post Beach WalkPost Beach Walk
Post Beach Walk

Pretty nasty.
Chilling in the "hot-tub"Chilling in the "hot-tub"
Chilling in the "hot-tub"

So, at our second hostal there were two empty hot tubs and snce there was no place for all of us to sit, we chilled in the empty hot tub and drank our free beer.
Nothing like a cold beer and a nice soakNothing like a cold beer and a nice soak
Nothing like a cold beer and a nice soak

If you actually look at the hot tub closely you will realize that there was no place fo jets or even to drain or fill the tub. Oh, Ecuador!


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb