Beautiful City of Cuenca Welcomes you


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » South » Cuenca
October 27th 2006
Published: October 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Ecuador Journey

We started in Quito, headed out to Bahia de Caraquez, then to Canoa, then making our way to Jipijapa, then off to Puerto Lopez, then Guayaquil, and then Cuenca, and now to Vilcabamba.

la calle de Cuencala calle de Cuencala calle de Cuenca

This shot was taken from the balcony of Hotel Monestario, overlooking one of the center streets below.
What an adventure it has been. Stevie and I have travelled from Quito, the capitol of Ecuador, out to the coast, and down into the southern highlands of Ecuador. After having my camera stolen the third day of our trip, we finally found a nice new one here in this lovely city, so the blog is back in action.
How different Cuenca is from anywhere else we've been so far. Beautiful colonial architecture, we're talking wrought iron balconies, domed churches, colorful windows and houses, marble floors and columns just to get started. Every few blocks there was another lovely botanical park with statues and fountains. The people were some of the nicest we've met so far, eager to help us out with whatever we might need. And the food, oh the comida, you could get just about anything you wanted to eat just by walking a few blocks- including vegetarian restaraunts!
We had a wonderful welcome party including fireworks visible from our 6th story hotel room, and a 50 piece marching band playing salsa-like music. It was also the beginning of their yearly independence celebreation, good timing.
Needless to say, it was difficult to say goodbye, but the adventure continues...


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

iglesia nueva, 1885iglesia nueva, 1885
iglesia nueva, 1885

View from our hotel. Spot of much of the fiesta. Incan flute players sharing such hits as "Dust in the Wind" and Paul Simon Favories. Also reggaeton and salsa. Mucho Fiesta
Stevei and I from our hotel BalconyStevei and I from our hotel Balcony
Stevei and I from our hotel Balcony

Overlooking the city we had a great view from our place!


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb