Welcome to Cuenca!


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » South » Cuenca
March 11th 2007
Published: March 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Not quite as I´ve been here since Wednesday but a belated welcome anyway. We got on a bus at 5.00am in Quito. Me and the Sophies ad the bright idea of not going to bed the night before so we stayed out until the salsa clubs closed at four. Good idea in the end as I slept pretty much the whole eleven hours down to Cuenca. Not looking forward to doing that again in a hurry! Me and Louisa moved in with our family on Wednesday - they are very nice but refuse to speak a word of English even though they can. I think they are under a slight misapprehension about what GAP is. We are out here to work with kids and incidently might need to know some Spanish - they think we are out here to learn Spanish and just happen to be volunteering! I´m getting the gist most of the time but out ´brother´Juan Pablo finds us hilarious as we do a lot of nodding and ´Si, si´ whether we understand or not (mostly not in all honesty!) Our house is huge with three sitting rooms and chandeliers (mini ones but still). No need to worry about sharing as I have a double room to myself and Louisa has another with a bed that is over 7 feet wide. Trust me, we measured it our first day using ourselves and a tiny ruler!


Went to Yunguilla on Saturday (not the one near Quito where Ben and Ez are but another one about two hours outside of Cuenca). We tried to explain to our family that there are two Yunguillas but they didn´t believe us. We went to meet the rest of the family which involved 26 people just on our dad´s side and even then none of the grown-up children came and there´s also another brother in America. Absolutley huge house with a swimming pool, jacuzzi and tennis court. Think they owned a stud farm or something as they had tonnes of horses around. The kids also had quad bikes which were very fun - who said you needed to speak the language to get on with people! Spent the day there before returning home in the evening.

Went into Cuenca to meet the others on Sunday. Really beautiful city and far more compact than Quito. Also a lot quieter, which basically means it´s not quite as much of a death-trap trying to cross the roads and the buses don´t have the annoying wolf-whistling horns!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Enjoying candyfloss in the parkEnjoying candyfloss in the park
Enjoying candyfloss in the park

This is what I call roughing it!


20th March 2007

hi
The 'bright' idea of not going to bed all night?? Now I realise sheer exhaustion is the only way you can possibly sleep on buses but how on earth did you put your sleep patterns back again? Or have you all become nocturnal??? Love the picture of the cathedral. Hope to see lots more photographs - especially of the cute little tikes when you get to the orphanage etc.

Tot: 0.224s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 31; qc: 142; dbt: 0.1427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb