Quito


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Quito
November 4th 2012
Published: November 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Arrived in Quito last night and staying in Hilton Colon we thought it would be as its name suggests but its amazing like an oasis in this very poor country. We took the bus tour of Quito stopping in the old colonial town of which we had read so much. Well there are very old buildings there and whilst those in central plaza have been maintained mostly the buildings are in need of renovation. We felt very much like rich tourists yet we weren't wearing anything posh. We found an inner courtyard where we had a lovely coffee, well more milk than coffee. We visited a church that was so richly adorned and was in sharp contrast to the outside where everywhere we looked there was poverty, however this was holiday time and as in most capital cities we found stalls selling a variety of goods, children having their faces painted, actors and jugglers and people enjoying themselves.

Today some of the streets were closed as cycling was the main event and everywhere people were taking part whether on bikes or roller blades, refreshments were provided gratis.

We left the centre and carried on with our bus tour stopping at a very large statue of an angel on top of a hill with panoramic views of the city. After a very brief lunch of corn on the cob from a street vendor we continued on our journey and dropped off at the foot of a cable car ride to the top of an extinct volcano which is one thousand feet above the city of Quito. The air was pretty thin at what was now 11000 feet above sea level but we adjusted pretty well.

The cable car ride was quite hairy with massive drops but on reaching the top we were given a local drink that tasted of warm blackberry and apple and a sweet bun in the shape of a gingerbread man.

Cyclists were also coming up on the cable cars and cycling but after some views from the top we travelled down and were quite pleased to be back on terra firma at the finish. Had to wait a half hour for the next bus on a main road that felt like a war zone on the north circular, not the most pleasant part of town! We then toured the buisness area which was more upmarket and the park where again there were so many families having fun. Made our way back to the hotel to changing weather, cloud rolling in and temperatures dropping to below 20 degrees, weird to think that we are on the equator.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0805s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb