The Equator!


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Mitad del Mundo
February 6th 2011
Published: February 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Well you can´t do Ecuador without doing the equator...

Had a great day at the Equator hopping from one hemisphere to the next like a big kid. I took the trip with a fantastic Chilean couple (Jose & Conni). We had a great laugh and I´ve picked up some chileño Spanish which could well come in handy in the coming months!

On our way back we passed the football stadium in Quito where fans were gathering for "El Gran Clasico" between Liga de Quito and Barcelona (Ecuador´s equivalent of the old firm derby). The fans were going crazy at each other and there were as many riot police as there were fans. So you could have been forgiven for thinking this was the build to the game...in fact, this was merely the queue to get tickets for tomorrow´s game!!

We then took a walk around Quito old town where the colonial buildings were looking spectacular agains the backdrop of the incoming stormclouds.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



8th February 2011

Happy Birthday
You certainly seem to be enjoying your big adventure.Happy Birthday on Monday. Bernard and I are going to Madeira for a week on the 14th Hope you have a lovely day. Love Julie
11th February 2011

Lots of love from the Douglas' xxxxx
Your photos are great. Have a lovely birthday on the 14th. So proud of my mother for sussing out how to contact you all on her own!!
11th February 2011

Thanks very much Julie. I'll be spending my birthday on the farm where I'm volunteering for the next couple of months. I just arrived and its seems great...a far cry from the hustle and bustle of Quito! Have a lovely holiday!
12th February 2011
Conni, Jose and a token Scotsman on the Equator

Loving the beard :0) and every Chilean couple should have a token Scotsman handy. That goes without saying :0)

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.063s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb