Back on land sort of


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Galápagos » Puerto Ayora
March 9th 2013
Published: March 9th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Last post got deleted due to a sketchy Internet connection, so this is a condensed version. First we want to share that March 1 was not only a great day for us, but also a couple from Holland celebrated their 20th anniversary together and a couple from Germany got engaged that night on the boat. Cheers to them, they know who they are!

Back on land we've been going with the Galapagos flow.

We've hit all the beaches again... Diving in cool waters at las grietas, swimming at a local beach at the Darwin centre, and doing the 3km walk to tortuga bay.

Tortuga bay is an amazing beach. Triple fun - one section made of calm warm water, another a cove, and then a surf beach. The sand feels like icing sugar under our feet and the water is crystal turquoise. Today, our 2nd time there, we went very early and swam with the sea turtles-just us and them. We were so close to the turtles that we could here them taking their breathe above water before they dove down again. Later, some sting rays were around, many fish, huge pelicans, many different birds, and always iguanas.
Male frigate birdsMale frigate birdsMale frigate birds

Takes 6 months to get the red puff to attract a mate
We even had a little siesta with about 30 iguanas laying around us. Will post photos later.

Hard to get over how many of these animals will come so close to you. it's a very beautiful experience not captured by photos. Doesn't get old!

On the way back today took a boat instead of the walk in the hot afternoon sun. Amazingly we got a deal today and did not pay usual gringo prices (aka higher prices than locals).

Other things...

One day we walked and walked beyond attraction sites into local markets (4 yummy bananas for a quarter) and got a glimpse of daily life. Rosalyn got her bag repaired in the market area and the guy was going to do it for free, but we gave some money anyway. Glen got his 3rd pair of sunglasses and 2nd sandals there.

A couple of days ago we took a day trip to another island, San Cristobal ("the capital of paradise" the sign said). It was, once again, amazing. On The 2 hour ferry we encountered a school of dolphins. The boat stopped and the dolphins surrounded the boat as they swam by. Then We
Kicking rockKicking rockKicking rock

Sharks down there!
went to three snorkling spots. The first, a variety of fish, and tons of playful sea lions. Second place called Kicking Rock, not to be missed if you are here. A magnificent formation from the ocean, and in between the two rocks we were snorkelling above Galapagos sharks, and hammerheads. Sea turtles too!



3 more days here and back to the mainland for different adventures.

Thanks for everyone's updates and comments! We appreciate it, although can't really respond due to unpredictable Internet connections. Adios.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Kicking rockKicking rock
Kicking rock

To show some scale
Ray and sharksRay and sharks
Ray and sharks

Kicking rock, amazing visibility 18 meters.


9th March 2013

Hello from us.
Thank you Glen for such an interesting & well-written blog. We almost feel like we're there with you & Rosalyn. And the pictures are amazing!! You two will have to write a book about your adventures when you get home. Love Mom & Dad xo
10th March 2013

Sounds wonderful!

Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 82; dbt: 0.0722s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb