Española and Garner Bay


Advertisement
Published: June 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our last wildlife day. Sad! Española Island first in the morning. Masked boobies, sea lions, marine iguanas (red instead of just black), lava lizards (bigger), swallow-tail gulls (the ones that are everywhere here), Galapagos mockingbirds, Galapagos hawks (2 of them, and it's rare to even see one), and albatross. The albatross are pretty big and walk really awkwardly! We saw their big eggs too.

On the boat ride to Garner Bay we saw orcas again! 4 of them, 2 babies. One of them completely jumped out of the water multiple times! And then they followed us over to the bay. Orcas are rare in the Galapagos and we saw them twice!

At Garner Bay we went snorkeling for the last time. Lots of sea lions on the beach. The big male decided he liked one of the guys on our trip who was lying on his towel, and the sea lion went right up to him and lay down right beside him. True love! Snorkeling we saw a big reef shark: at least 6 feet. 4 sting rays, 1 ginormous marble ray, 2 turtles, some fish, and a lobster shell.

Then our last dinner and evening on the boat.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0815s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb