Out and about in the highlands of Ecuador


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Centre
June 21st 2012
Published: June 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

There's enough to keep us busy for months and months in Ecuador's central highlands - sadly we don't have that kind of time on our hands, but we've still managed to fit quite a lot in during the couple of weeks we've spent in Latacunga and Riobamba.

A climb of Rumiñahui, a 4,600-odd metre "starter" mountain seen as good practice for higher peaks such as Cotopaxi or Chimborazo. Exactly the reason we decided to climb it, although with hindsight I'm not sure it could ever really count as "practice"!

A very luckily-timed visit to the small town of Pujilí, near Latacunga, during its annual Corpus Christi celebrations, a raucous day (and supposedly religious!) of street dancing helped along with gallons of Pilsener and lots of hornadita hog roast...

A cycle down the slopes of Chimborazo, at 6,310 metres Ecuador's highest peak, losing two kilometres of altitude in a couple of hours and barely having to touch the pedals!

A ride on the famous Nariz del Diablo railway, complete with its hair-raising switchbacks (you used to be able to ride on the roof of the train. The unfortunate decapitation of two tourists a few years ago put an end to that.)

Quite a busy couple of weeks!


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

At the summit- 4,630mAt the summit- 4,630m
At the summit- 4,630m

With Lenny, the son of our guide Sergio. If he could do it so could we!


Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0749s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb