Bad luck comes in threes...


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Centre » Baños
May 12th 2007
Published: May 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Ecuadorian Dairy FarmEcuadorian Dairy FarmEcuadorian Dairy Farm

Mum milks cows with baby on her back
This week has not been the usual run of good events;

1. One fainting episode in the sauna.
2. The infallible Nicole gets sick.
3. A shifty Ecuadorian steals our stuff from under our noses.

From Quito we headed North and did the Gulliver's mountain biking trip down Cotopaxi. This involved a climb to a glacier at 5000m, which was great fun, then a mountain bike ride down the steep gravel road tho the bottom. Cal really enjoyed that part of it, skidding and sliding everywhere, where as I was petrified and went the pace of a snail (see the photo of me in front of the bus). This is one adventure/adrenaline sport that does not do it for me, although the chocolate cake at the bottom was excellent. In fact we liked the farm house (Papagayo) so much we stayed two nights there. Aaron (the Israelie owner) started the hostel up about 6 years ago, a very cosy homely place. We got to milk cows by hand, ride horses, and sit around a warm fire drinking wine with new friends.

From there it was on to Banos, the adventure capital of Ecuador. We stayed in an awesome hostel; Plantas y Blanco (thanks for the recommendation Jo and Nick), which has a steam sauna upstairs and rooftop restaurant. The deal with these Ecuadorian saunas is you sit in individual boxes with your head poking out the top, and there is lots of hot steam. After 4 minutes you get out and douse yourself with freezing cold water. You repeat the process 4 times, then the assistant hoses you down with a power hose/jet, and you are free to go. Unfortunately after the third time I fainted, and Callum witnessed the assistant picked me up and forceing me into a cold bath until I came round. Bit of a shock to the system. We only did that once.

We hired mountain bikes and rode all round Banos and the surrounding area, great fun (no gravel this time), and went on a cable car/gondola to see this cute little monkey freely swinging in the trees. There was beautiful waterfalls, and it was a fun day. We hitched a ride back to Banos when the rain picked up, and were sitting in the hot pools by 5pm. During all our travels I have never got sick (ever), so we had come to believe that my stomach was make of steal. Unfortunately Ecuador was to prove this theory wrong, one bad batch of off chickpeas and I have been enduring Imodium and re hydration tablets like every other guy and his dog.

To top it all off, on the way back to Quito today some swine sitting behind me on the bus reached between my legs and unclasped my bag, and managed to get the MP3 player and my sunnies out before I noticed. When I realised what had happened, we confronted him (Give it back you thief!). He was working with another lady, and they both denied our accusations, then promptly jumped off the bus and ran off before we could do anything about it. Unfortunately that has tinted our view of Ecuadorians a bit, as we have had to spend this afternoon in the police station getting police reports in Spanish. An unnecessary part of any holiday.

Anyway, tomorrow is another day, and travel stories can not all be good. In the morning we are flying to the Galapagos Islands, so it is onwards and upwards.

Nic and Cal
xxx

ps - Congratulations to Allanah and Adam on the birth of Dylan John Norris Bazzard!!! (Born 1201am 5/5/07, 7 pounds 15 oz's).

Highlight: Mountain biking round Banos
Lowlight: Thief getting away (should have taken a photo of him!)
Best Munch: Chocolate cake at Papagayo
Best Gulp: Fresh juice from the Magic Bean Cafe in Quito
Rate: 7/10
Interesting Fact: Banos means Baths, and it is famous for its natural hot pools



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

El Pailon del Diablo WaterfallEl Pailon del Diablo Waterfall
El Pailon del Diablo Waterfall

Worth the hike down and back


12th May 2007

Hey there Just been catching up on your latest adventures on a rainy Saturday here in the AK. Sounds like you're still having a great time and I guess it won't be long till we'll be able to catch up over a wine and hear some more stories! Got your post card the other day, thanks! See you soon. Anna Jx

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb