Las Despedidas


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Tolima
November 13th 2011
Published: November 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

AdersonAdersonAderson

Anderson is on the right, he's the one that introduced me to everyone.
Las Despedidas

I'm writing this entry smelly and filthy dirty. Water here goes and comes without warning. At first I thought no problem, I dealt with that in Istanbul (well it was very rare, but still happened nonetheless). But here, it's a bit different! If it rains, it most definitely goes, and it has been raining quite a bit! Thank God you can at least dump a bucket of water in the toilet and the pressure will magically make it flush! Never thought I'd say this but give me back my cold shower! Cross your fingers for us that the water will come back on today, so we can wash off the sweat and mud from yesterday's frightening hike up the mountain, (I'll skip the other stories and go straight to that story for the next entry, since that's a juicy one for sure!).

Friday the kids did a great big good-bye for the four grand volunteers that are leaving this weekend. They did a bunch of songs with dances for them and gave them some presents. I took this opportunity to take some pictures of the kids that always come to Manos Amigas (the volunteer house that's right
TatianaTatianaTatiana

She's the cutie standing on the right.
next door to me). A few of the kids also helped me take the pics! So cute!

I'll put up the pics and put captions under a few for better understanding...


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

CountingCounting
Counting

I taught the girl with a high pony tail how to properly count to ten (en espanol) on the walk back from the slums the other day. She made me swing her and all that stuff so I made her count in exchange.
MariaMaria
Maria

Maria is second on from the left. I helped her with her writing as she spelled out the words.
FilmingFilming
Filming

During one of the presentations, Anderson was pretending to film the whole thing.
DavidDavid
David

Omg, this kid is too cute. Always so stinkin happy, but always has a snot stream crusted from one of this nostrils. Yum!
SamuelSamuel
Samuel

aka the little devil, as the volunteers refer to him. Apparently he's not as sweet as he looks.
Photo 11Photo 11
Photo 11

I let him take pictures with my camera. He had no idea how it worked, so I basically had to hold it for him and let him push the button, otherwise there would be pics of the floor!
DanceDance
Dance

Those 2 did a traditional dance for them.
KarlaKarla
Karla

Karla and that little boy had a camera war.
Volunteers. Volunteers.
Volunteers.

Closest is Alexis (from Vancouver), then Karla (from San Jose, Cali), Chelsey (friends with Alexis from Vancouver), and Max (from London).
BailanBailan
Bailan

6 of them danced to a reggaeton song, and they had to get low at one point.
Mas ReggaetonMas Reggaeton
Mas Reggaeton

The 2 in the middle were def the highlight of this dance. Shocking that these 8 year olds were doing that!!
DancingDancing
Dancing

These 2 just laughed the whole way through the dance.
ScandalousScandalous
Scandalous

What kind of organization is this?!?! jk
Orange ShortsOrange Shorts
Orange Shorts

The kid in the orange shorts is such a good dancer. He was leading all of them in all the dances that they did for the volunteers.
KarlaKarla
Karla

She was her for 3 months.
Peace Out YoPeace Out Yo
Peace Out Yo

This girl might turn out to be my favorite.


13th November 2011

Cutest kids ever!!! Looks like the perfect place for you to learn some more reggeaton mixed with shakira moves. You chose well nena!!
13th November 2011

wonderful pictures
Brings back memories of the children we met in Honduras a happy day keep up the great work
14th November 2011

Travel Envy
Your first few days seem to be fulllll of life!! The kids are just adorable, do they speak slow easy to understand Spanish? Haha. Are there more volunteers coming to join you soon since the others are leaving? Even though you are a hot, sweaty mess that sounds better than cold, freezingness right now. Alex and I can picture the slums, the music, the people and those toilets that need water to flush and we just CANNOT wait to get outta here. We are definitely expediting our expedition!! We are thinking late Spring instead of early Fall... so cross your fingers it happens even sooner than that! I wish you could have ventured with us this weekend, we took a hike in the far end of Garland and sat upon a meadowy hilltop and today we found a BEACH in Big Sur, like with lotsss of sand and tons of room to lay out on and frolic. Guhh, I miss you!! Love that you\'re posting a blog so we can hear about all your new experiences and adventures and everything else. I can\'t wait to hear about the mountain hike!

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0286s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb