Slipped and slid my way through Cueva Vaca!


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » San Gil
October 12th 2008
Published: October 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Last week I went with a trio of Frenchies on a 2 hour hike through Cueva Vaca. It was loads of fun! We wore our crappiest clothes...which isn't hard to find considering we are all backpacking...put on the head lamps and helmets provided by our guide, and off we went! The best part was that I got to take pictures the whole time in spite of the fact that for most of our time in the cave we were crawling through mud, swimming through cave rivers full of mud, and maneuvering our way around rocks, stalagtites and stalagmites. I borrowed my friend Shaun's digital camera that is smash and water proof...perfect for this cave!
At one point, we had to crawl on our bellies through slippery, we mud for a good 20 meters. The space was so limited that you HAD to crawl on your belly...there was no room for you to be on your hands and knees...not a place for the clautrophobic! But it was soooo much fun! I loved it!
In another section, we were trudging our way through the thick mud, then into the very cold river. After a few minutes of walking in waist deep water, the water level begins to get higher at the same time that the ceiling of the cave begins to get lower. Eventually, the water level and the ceiling meet and there is no longer any space for air to breathe. At this point, we had to swim under the water for a few meters to then pop up on the other side of the cave's low ceiling. The problem is that the space of air on the other side that you "pop up" into is still very small...there was only room for us to stick our mouth and nose out of the water to get the air we needed to breathe. After walking in the head level water and low level ceiling like this for another 20 meters, the cave then opened up again and the water level went back down. It was exciting much slightly unerving!
In other parts of the cave there were beautiful rock formations...huge stalagtites and stalagmites. One of the rooms had a ceiling that was covered in pure crystals. Most of the rooms had small colonies and bats...they were actually kinda cute!
Enjoy the pics!


Additional photos below
Photos: 89, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



15th October 2008

Wow!
Just looking at your pics made my claustrophobia kick in....I'm glad you had a good time! I NEVER could have done that.

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0741s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb