Guatape and El Penol


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Medellin » Guatape
October 4th 2007
Published: October 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Group PhotoGroup PhotoGroup Photo

Photo with our Colombian and French Friends we met the other night.
The following day we took a bus to a small town outside of Medellin called Guatape. It was about 1.5 hour ride long. Guatape is a lake community with beautiful homes, small farms and big rock call El Penol, which is a 200 feet and it stands out. Guatape was once a home for Pablo Escobar and his whole Medellin Cartel. After Pablo Escobars death, the FARC spread their operations into this area. Later on the Colombian government sent troops to drive the FARC and the rest guerrilla forces back to the dense forest. There are soldiers around to keep the area safe for the people and tourists.

We rode on horses, hiked up the El Penol. It was about 650 stairs. As you can see from my photos, the view was very beautiful. We had lunch at the top as well. Afterwards we walked around Guatape and took a boat ride around the lake. We saw many luxury homes while riding on the boat. Some of the luxury homes belonged to Pablo Escobar and his associates during the Medellin Cartel heydays. One of Pablo Escobars bombed out home is an easily viewed landmark. After Escboars death and the FARC's retreat, many of these homes were purchased by affluent Colombians and real estate investors. If you are coming out to Medellin, make sure to trip to Guatape and hike up the El Penol for a breathtaking view!



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

on top of El Penol on top of El Penol
on top of El Penol

another picture from top of el penol
Lunch at El PenolLunch at El Penol
Lunch at El Penol

Lunch with a beauitful view!
Top of El PenolTop of El Penol
Top of El Penol

Beautiful View of Guatape from El Penol
El PenolEl Penol
El Penol

El Penol... getting ready to climb those stairs
guatapeguatape
guatape

walking around the town of guatape
View of El Penol View of El Penol
View of El Penol

View of El Penol on the lake
bottom of el penolbottom of el penol
bottom of el penol

streets shops on the bottom of el penol
HomeHome
Home

a luxury home
homehome
home

another luxury home
EscobarEscobar
Escobar

One of Pablo Escobars house and whats left of it.
escobarescobar
escobar

Another view of Escobars home
BuildingsBuildings
Buildings

colorful homes of Guatape along the streets


4th January 2008

que bien
vivo en Medellín y no conosco este pueblo. pronto lo estaré visitando. que bueno que no te haya dado miedo ir.
23rd January 2008

BEATIFUL PICTURES
I JUST CAME FROM THAT TRIP AND I THINK THAHT I WILL DO IT NEXT YEAR, IT WAS SO WOUNDERFULL.
23rd December 2008

pablo escobar y Guatape?????????????
I see you were "bitten" by the narcoturism bug".......I love my Colombia and have being to el Peñol and Guatape many times.... But it seems to me that people only go to these place because of the "pablo escobar legend".....Why do we have to publish such beautiful pictures and describe such beautiful place to others and mention mr.pablo escobar and las farc????????is no enough the beauty of el Peñol/Guatape and its people to make me want to come here and take my own pictures??????????? WHAT A SHAME........AND...BEAUTIFUL PICTURES.

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb