Sailing Koala


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Cartagena » Sogamoso
July 9th 2011
Published: July 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Our six day sailing trip across the Caribbean felt like a mini holiday in itself. We spent the first two days sailing through rough waters to get us to the Sand Blas islands off the coast of panama. It's the first time I've sailed for more than one day, and I, along with everyone else felt pretty green from it. My last minute purchase of anti sickness tablets got well used by everyone. The boat was a tight squeeze for 6 of us and our captain which didn't help. Sleeping, standing up and just about everything was hard work with all the motion. I even had to resort to wedging myself in the “bed” so I wouldn't fall out.

Over the trip we all had to help out on board, cooking, washing up, doing night watch etc. We had some really good food considering we were using a small stove, we certainly never went hungry. It was great fun and the whole thing was a real bonding experience for us all. By the end of it we knew each other very well. 6 days without a shower and only salt water to wash definitely added to it. When we made eventually made it back to panama city and went out for dinner we could hardly recognise each other clean and with clothes on.

I've been lucky enough to go to the Caribbean a few times before but the sand blas are quite different to the other islands I've experienced. They are so remote and totally undeveloped. We were kayaking or swimming from the boat to the shore. We were so secluded it was amazing. Not a tourist in sight. We got to eat lots of fresh fish and lobster and coconut rice to, it was delicious. Pure paradise. I'm really glad I did it, but it certainly wasn't glamorous. It's definitely the backpacker way to do the Caribbean, rather than your luxury cruise, but it was nice hanging out with all the rich people on their yachts for a few days. Oh to be rich!



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



27th August 2011

Wow
Looks amazing Jane, and sounds like yet another 'roughing it' experience (not that I feel it's realy fair to call it roughing it when the experience is so amazing!) similar to the Inca trail altho double the time with no shower hehe!!! Anyhow keep having fun chick it'll fly the rest of the time you have out there!! xxxxx

Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0577s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb