On the Road of Sun and Fruit, San Jerónimo, Antioquia


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Antioquia
October 7th 2012
Published: November 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

The Road of the Sun and the Fruit



Sticking to my Western travel plan, I arrived in San Jerónimo, a nice agricultural village within the Antioquia´s mountains offering a lovely weather and trying to allow its houses and streets to have architectural significance. The village is part of a tourism plan called the Road of the Sun and the Fruit.





The plan includes villages like San Jeronimo, Santafé de Antioquia and Sopetrán and takes tourists to some reknown highlights of these regions such as the Western Bridge, some beautiful churches and places that transport you back to the colonial past. Apparently, there are bililngual guides ready to answer all your questions on the spot.





Another Antioquia's paradise





With excellent roads, getting to the capital only takes one hour from San Jeronimo. The trip includes crossing the Fernando Gómez Martínez´s Tunnel. which I have described already as the most modern tunnel in South America. What's more, the tunnel is so popular that it has its own celebration, that's right. It is mainly this closeness to the capital that has allowed this municipality to start growing as a business hub for meetings and important events.



To cater for the new tourism boom highly enjoyed by the village, there are modern bungallows all year round, they are equipped with all the facilities of a nice hotel; furthermore, comfortable spas are quite affordable. The organisers have developed and managed tourism in such a way that the infrastructures are quite advanced, many haciendas have been built to respond to all the national and foreign tourists longing to stay in a quiet place. That's san Jeronimo, in spite of the latest concern for modernity, the village could easily be taken for a rural destination.





The Cocoa land





Apart from cocoa, other crops that sustain the village are coffee, bananas and sugar cane. Livestock plays also an important part in their economy but given what I have read, it seems that tourism will become the best source as it is continuously increasing!


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0941s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb