Santiago


Advertisement
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
November 9th 2012
Published: November 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

This morning we woke up and decided to start the day with a Bike tour. We found a company that offered bilingual tours through the Bellavista neighborhood and markets. Bellavista is a neighborhood in Santiago where a lot of Turkish people settled after leaving the Ottoman empire during the Christian persecution. Consequently, the neighborhood has a very bohemian feel and world class graffiti. One... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

TierremotoTierremoto
Tierremoto

"Earthquake" Strong white wine from the south of Chile, pineapple icecream and pisco. They are so strong that it's said when you finish it you'll feel like you are in an Earthquake.
Cafe with legsCafe with legs
Cafe with legs

These little coffee shops are found near the downtown business areas. They got their name from the attractive women that hang around the cafes talking to the rich business men. They have these things called "Happy Minutes" where they will close all the blinds and the women will strip for a minute, then put all their clothes back on before the shops reopen their windows.
Cell phone BuildingCell phone Building
Cell phone Building

Owned by a cell phone company, they designed it in the mid-90s to look like a cell phone.
Best Ice Cream in SantiagoBest Ice Cream in Santiago
Best Ice Cream in Santiago

Chocolate and Orange...delicious!!



11th November 2012

turks & caicos
sounds like you two have had quite an adventure in south america. it has been very entertaining "traveling" with you. just wanted to add that in south america, arabs are often called "turks", because they came to the americas at the time the ottoman empire was still ruling the area so they arrived with turkish passports, hence the name turk. most of the ones in chile are palestinians, 85% of whom are christians, and chile has the largest palestinian community outside the middle east. they have been very successful in the 100+years they have been in chile and even have a professional division 1 soccer team. i read recently that 10% of the chilean congress is of at least partial palestinian descent. the bellavista area has relatively few palestinians left, most of whom have moved on. the area is still largely immigrant, with newly arrived koreans, chinese, and south americans. saludos!

Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.072s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb