Santiago


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
August 12th 2011
Published: August 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Thurs Aug 11th

Headed for the Metro on Tuesday morning to get our bearings. Hopped out in dowtown Santiago – will we go left or right?? Well, we went left to start with but then ‘short cut Shane’ changed his instinctive compass and we walked right….right toward the student protests! The police riot trucks line the city street, police are armed and in groups on every corner, and the shops and banks have their glass windows boarded up just in case. We get directions from one of the guards, who tells us we have gone in the wrong direction, and we hot foot it out of there.
Our first stop is the Plaza de Armas – a concrete park in the centre of the city from which all distances in Chile are measured. It’s surround by beautiful architecture, and in the afternoon people can be seen selling their wares or showing off their comedic talents, dancing, reading poetry and giving political recitals. Visited the History Museum in the same square.
The Banco de Chile is also staging some sort of protest here. All the staff are outside their banks blowing these little blue bugles. The banks close here at 1pm so I cant imagine what they have to complain about! A little bit goes a long way!!! Having wandered around for the entire day its time to head home. Made the mistake of buying a pizza at the Jumbo for dinner – more than a bit average!
Someone started banging on a pot in the apartment next door, and shortly after, other pot bangers started joining in-bizarre! Turns out this is part of the student protests……every freakin’ night from 9pm – 10pm.
On Wednesday, we headed back into the city to do a 4hr walking tour of the city with a group called Spicy Chile. No charge for the tour just a tip at the end for what you think the guide is worth. Nicolas was awesome and spoke brilliant English – just as well we all spoke English. It was a great way to get acquainted with all the top spots to visit, and ended at San Cristobal. There is a beautiful statue at the top of the hill over looking the city, so we climb aboard the funicular that takes us to the top. Its similar to a small rail road but on a cable that pulls the passenger carrying carts to the top.
Its a peaceful place with beautiful religious statues, none comparing of course to the statue of Mary who overlooks the city. There’s a place to light candles and say a prayer for the dear departed, and I take the opportunity to light one for Pip. (well it wasn’t like I actually had a candle with me, so when no-one was looking, I resurrected one that had fallen to the ground. I’m sure he wouldn’t mind) :-)
Had dinner at an Italian restaurant in the Plaza BellaVista. A couple of Pisco Sours, and I’m off to a good start. Probably should have left it at that two instead of knocking back a bottle of Baileys when we got home. Took up my pot and pan at 9pm and got my own beat going for the student cause too LOL.
Called Mum and Peter tonight. The apartment come with free calls to Australia and the use of internet and a mobile phone. People in Australia can call us too for the cost of a local call. Sweet deal!

Shane says- Upon arriving home as the guards opened the security door I said to them Sharls is ‘estoy borracho’ ( she is drunk ) which had them laughing hard.

Sharls says: Yeah he’s turned in to one real funny Gringo – Not! :-)

Not sure whats going on with our body clocks but these days we’re not up much before 11 most days and due to last nights little blow out with the Pisco Sours and Baileys, it was 11.30!
Quiet day with an Empanada lunch and another trip to the city. Climbed to the top of Santa Lucia today, where around every corner you go, people are kissing- boy on girl, boy on boy, girl on girl, ugly on ugly – they ALL getting’ it on. Its really hilarious!
Shane says- After the 1000 step snog festival we meandered down to the Museum for a look around. Spent an hour there and hopped back on the Metro for home. We know the Metro like the back of our hand now. Swapping back and forth between lines like locals. All for the grand total of 550 pesos, which equates to about AUD $1.10. Melbourne should head to Santiago and look at how a city with 7 million people work a transport system. The longest we have waited for a train is three minutes at the most.
Sharls says: He can speak for himself. If we get seperated on the Metro I’m staying put until he comes back to get me.
Friday sees us back in the city visiting the beautiful Cathedral. There was a full mass happening so while I sit and take a moment to soak up the atmosphere in my pew, Shane takes off outside to watch all the comings and goings. He might spontaneously combust if he stays any longer anyway :-)
As I leave the church an old lady is selling Rosary beads and while I tell her ‘No hablas espanol’, she says ‘you remember Chile’. So I now have Rosary Beads!! I have always wanted some, and they are made with siver, with little pink pearls. Adorable!

Shane says- Sharls didn’t know what price she was asking so I went over and worked out that she wanted ‘dos mil’ which is 2000 pesos, so out come $AUD 4.00, watch out the big spenders are in town. Lol

Visited another freakin Museum – the Museum of pre-Columbian art- just riveting! No really, it was pretty amazing, but I’m about done with museums.

Shoes are really cheap here girls! Especially the boots – around AU$25-$100 per pair! Was going to update my runners to and could have picked up a nice pair of Sketchers for around AU$60 but apparently my lesson for the day is that this is a lot of money when you’re travelling! Well to me, that’s a saving of about $70!!! Lesson 2 is that I need to spend more time back packing so that I can appreciate the value of a dollar – I have been very spoiled up until now!!! Oh Really? We’ll see about that.

So now I am at the apartment and Shane is down at the Jumbo buying something for dinner. I say ‘ can you get me a packet of Cheezels or is that outside the budget?’ LOL.

Shane says- Bloody oath it is. Haha Suppose I’m sleeping in the single bed tonight. Lucky I bought some beer. Always room in the budget for 62 cent cans of beer.

Sharls says: Yeah so its ok not to have a budget for beer but I don’t drink so what am I allowed to buy? Maybe I need to keep tabs on how much he is spending on grog!

So we will be back on board in a few days. Heading to Valparaiso on Sunday and have booked in at a B&B called Harringtons for 2 nights and then we will head to Vina Del Mar for 2 or 3 days for Shanes 40th birthday. He better have shaved that pooey off his top lip before then! :-)

Shane says: Lets put it to the vote! Leave the pooey or shave it off? Send ur votes via a message.




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



13th August 2011

To shave or not to shave
I think you should keep the pooey
13th August 2011

to shave or not to shave
deb says shave the bloody pooey off u dero

Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0688s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb