Stranded!


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
July 2nd 2007
Published: July 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Trying to stay warmTrying to stay warmTrying to stay warm

as we started to descend down the mountain at the end of the day, i snapped this right to capture my utter coldness (Southern girl + snow and cold = a pitiful, pitiful sight!). On our lookout for cars to hitch rides down the mountain with, we met a hiker who told us to forget it, that no one was going anywhere in this snow. The look you see is one of excited adventure!

Stranded!

 South America » Chile » Santiago » Santiago By ChileOut
July 2nd 2007
Diana
Starting off on a day trip to La Parva, a mountain about 45 minutes outside Santiago, Joel and I hitchhiked up to a famous ski resort with plans to meet some friends and, instead of spending money on skiing, just breathe in the mountains, yodel, roll down some hills, and build snow forts. Thanks to some unforseen snow invasion, all five of us (Joel, myself, and three other friends--Andrew, Mario, and Joe) were forced to hobble in the blowing snow up to the nearest hostel and beg for lodging for the night. It was, by far, the most beautiful Stranding I've ever experienced!


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

My homeMy home
My home

view of my home, good ole santiago, from la parva
FriendsFriends
Friends

At every police outpost the officials asked the awkward group of 5 gringos what in the world they were doing walking down this mountain? We explain how we had been stranded up the night before and now needed to get down. Because they didn't open up the windey roads for "Down" traffic until 4 when the skiiers got finished, we had decided to start the 30 kilometer walk down and see which happened first; 4 o'clock or the bottom. They all laughed at us, but agreed to let Joel wear one of their hats in a picture.
Cut through'sCut through's
Cut through's

As I've learned from my two brothers, being on adventures with boys ensures some off-the-pavement traveling. With a winding road of switchbacks down the mountain, we decided to cut through them, rolling down a snowy mountain to "save time" and become more one with mother earth. Joel paved the way and waited to help me through the unknown territory, but below you can see the other boys scampering down the path we are about to take. Life's short. Get dirty!
LuisLuis
Luis

The favorite little cabin restaurant we found had a fabulously weathered and true owner named Luis. All day he bakes bread and serves frigid little gringoes like us piping hot coffee. We quickly became BFF's (Best Friends Forever).
MoochingMooching
Mooching

We mooched several ski lodge's restaurants for their fires! I have no idea why they get so offended when you just order french fries with extra ketchup...
OptionsOptions
Options

Valle Nevado, some of the best skiing in South America. Santiago, my home.
Bus StopBus Stop
Bus Stop

Our view from the bus stop in Santiago where it all begins...
HidingHiding
Hiding

Hiding with hot, hot drinks from a cold cold world
Eee!Eee!
Eee!

Snow makes me HAPPY!
From the ski lodgeFrom the ski lodge
From the ski lodge

View from the ski lodge. This is the morning after we all woke up and asked ourselves what we were going to do with a snowy paradise?
awkwardawkward
awkward

hey joel, strike the most awkward pose you can
Playing and frollickingPlaying and frollicking
Playing and frollicking

Sums up the general vibe of the day.
BreakfastBreakfast
Breakfast

We stumbled back into Luis's restaurant the next morning to warm up next to the bread oven and get some out of this world eats. He just laughed. Of course we couldn't wait till night to go back down the mountain. Amateurs!
YummmmYummmm
Yummmm

breakfastttt.....flannelllll......
Video around breakfastVideo around breakfast
Video around breakfast

Video index around the breakfast table
ValleyValley
Valley

Mario and a valley.
i don't wanna grow up...i don't wanna grow up...
i don't wanna grow up...

Proof that we are NOT adults.... we got rebuked by the cops for throwing snowballs at passing cars!!! After having all these scary thoughts recently that I might actually be mature and considerably more responsible than I would like, I was SO PROUD!
NestingNesting
Nesting

Resting having a blast and eating some snow!


Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 9; qc: 43; dbt: 0.09s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb