Safe in Santiago


Advertisement
Published: May 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hi All,

Well we´re safe and sound in South America. The flight from Oz was long but as yuo saw from the last blog at least we got to get off in Aukland and make use for the facilities there. Then it was a 10 hour haul and bodies that really did not want to sleep so by the time we got here we were zonked. We had arranged to get picked up at the airport and this all worked out very well. We were met by a driver and a guide who then gave us a running commentary as we drove into town as well as a security brieifing that would rival anything I had while working at BG Group. Anyway we have been warned and plan on being careful. After a couple of hours sleep we mustered ourselves, decidedidely jet lagged, and set off an area called Bario Bellavista - just a decent walk away and reputed by our guide and Lonely Planet to have decent restaurants etc. Both were right. We kicked off with a couple of local drinks not unlike a Margueretas (?) that picked us up and put us in the mood and after a decent walk around to size up the eating, drinking and shopping opportunities found place recommened by LP - no frills but a huge plate of cooked mixed meat (we're talking Beef steak, Chicken, Pork, Sausage (german), Black pudding (blood sausage) and spuds... all washed down with a larger beer AND a very good bottle of Chilean Red at very reasonable prices.

We now gearing up to do Santiago today but up too ealry (jet lag again) to do much yet , hence time for a quick post. We'll probaly just do a sightseeing tour today and tackly the public transport tomorrow...

One thing we forget to mention about Sydney... on our first night there, havinmg travelled all day across the continent ' we headed off to Darling Harbour which has been transformed since we were last in Sydney 17 years ago. Anyway we had not been down there for 5 minutes and had noticed that there were lots of people sitting by ther waterside when out of the blue (or the night sky) a firwark display started. Cathy and I simply stopped and watched and gurgled with delñight at 8 inutes of Fiework heaven. It turns out theat this happens every other Saturday night - so we just got lucky.

We will find the time to load some pix - finding it a bit tricky to do this successfully but will do so before we move on. We still have nearly two weeks left of out trip. Any typos etc today are down to me - Cathy not here to correct my hopeless typing but I am grappling with a strage Spanshish keyboard layout.

Trials and trbulations - few are far between really but we have both picked up a niggley cough and blocked nose sort of thing ' not a full blown cold but not helpful when tryint to sleep on a plane or anywhere else. Nurse Cathy had to sit out a couple of blisters that I developed (before the Brige climb) and I reciprocated with a massage to her aching legs.. All minor stuff really . We are fir and well and settling into a very good hotel in Santigo.... our room (suite morel like - has a lunge area, a walk in wardbrod, and a atheroom with two doors (never come across that before) ... just hada good breakfast and now off for the day. More soon.

Thanks for all the comments and feedback, dining suggestions and so on. We quite like this blooging thing...

Steve 'n' Cathy

Advertisement



5th May 2011

South America
This is where I start to get envious! Sounds like you're having a great time - we're enjoying reading the blogs so keep 'em coming. They're asking after you at Shambhala, Cathy! Enjoy South America - looking forward to reading more Sue
7th May 2011

yearning for yoga!
lord, I feel so stiff! all this trolling around, up hill and down dale. Tell Alison to think up some good remedial stuff for when I get back! Love, Cathy

Tot: 0.252s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0725s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb