Torres Del Paine


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Magallanes » Torres del Paine
April 12th 2006
Published: April 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

At Glacier Grey CampsiteAt Glacier Grey CampsiteAt Glacier Grey Campsite

The scenery that greeted us when we woke up in the morning
Realised it has been quite some time since I last update this blog. Have been busy trekking and trekking in Torres Del Paine (Chile) and El Chalten (Argentina). Crossed over to Chile after Ushuaia and did some trekking at Torres Del Paine. It is a spectacular national park in southern Patagonia, famous for its granite peaks, snow clad mountains and glacier-fed lakes.

Did a 5 days ¨W´circuit trek. Had to carry our own tents, stove, pots and 5 days of food ration. The weather has been pretty bad for the past week and some travellers returned from the park without completing the circuit due to bad weather. Kinda worrying. Even on the night before our departure, the wind was howling throughout the night. Argh... Am wondering how to survive camping with this rain and wind? But on the day when we started our trek, the sun seems to peek out a bit from the clouds. Praying hard this will continue.

After crossing the lake, we embaked on our 5 days trek. Started with the Glacier Grey and we got to a campsite next to the glacier. When we were approaching the glacier, there was a part when the wind blew so strong again that I lost balance and fell into a bush. Never felt so vulnerable before. Sob sob... There´s no turning back. We pressed on, held tight to one another, trying to get to the campsite before dark. We finally reached the campsite after struggling for 6 hrs, fighting the wind, enduring the cold, bearing the ache on our shoulders that our heavy backpack caused and conquering muddy trails and river crossings.

During the night, we could hear the wind howling and trees swaying. But in the morning, we are always very glad to see the sun again. We were quite lucky to have met with good weather for the rest of the days, though it did snowed a bit on the last day. Everyday, we trekked for almost 6 - 7hrs to get to the next campsite. Quite glad that we met 2 other groups who were doing the same circuit as us. Always feel very relieved to see one another at the campsite, knowing someone else is there camping with us amongst the tall mountains.

Though tiring, dirty and hungry, we were marvelled by the specutacular view of the park. With all the mountains, glacier, rivers, lakes, deltas and valleys, it seems as if we´ve walked into a geography textbook.

How we wish all our trekking kakis are there to share these memorable experience!







Advertisement



Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 78; dbt: 0.0785s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb