Patagonia Lakes Region - Argentina / Chile


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Los Lagos » Puerto Varas
September 10th 2012
Published: September 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

What a difference a day makes! Within 24 hours we moved from the warmth and beaches of Rio to the lakes of Bariloche with the snow covered peaks of the Andes Mountains in the background. From sunning ourselves on the beach in Rio to rugging-up in our jackets, gloves, scarves and beanies, for a tour around Lago Nahuel Huapi and National Park, we found the the chanage of environment quite dramatic. Bariloche's scenery from various vantage points is picture perfect and it rivals anything we have seen. A chair lift took us to the best viewing point - clear blue skies, crystal blue lakes, forests to water level and snow-capped mountains behind - what more could you ask for. Our hotel sat on the edge of the lake overlooking this stunning view. Bariloche is a ski resort town in winter and a hikers' paradise, so we are told, in the summer and it is located at the foot of the Andes Mountains in Argentina 70 km from the border with Chile. It is a vibrant town with the main street a heaven for chocoholics with chocolate shops on nearly every corner.

Bariloche was the start of the last leg of our wonderful trip touring South America; a quick look at the Patagonian region of lakes and national forests shared between Argentina and Chile. The majority of our last few days was spent at Peulla in Chile, a place of 120 people. We arrived there after crossing from Bariloche to Peuto Frias on two lakes, the second a contrast, being smaller and green in colour, but similar in the stunning scenery of snow capped mountains and forested cliffs to the water's edge. Peulla is mainly a just a large hotel dating back to the early 1900s. Our time was spent walking the surrounds and enjoying a 4 wheel drive bus ride during which we visited a local farm, crossed the flat and wide stony river with its fast flowing sections and took a short cruise up a tributary appearing black in colour due to the volcanic sand on the bottom. This gave us an appreciation of the natural beauty and simplicity of life in this area.

Our final stop is Peurto Varas reached by another lake crossing and scenic bus ride with two of the nine active volcanos in this region dominating the horizon. Peurto Varas is a lakeside town originally settled by Germans and this is reflected in the style of housing in the area. This region is renowned for its salmon and trout farms which help Chile to be ranked 2nd in the world for salmon exports.

This is our final blog for the trip as we are homeward bound tomorrow!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb