Chiloe Island


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Los Lagos » Chiloé Island
April 30th 2006
Published: May 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

PalifitosPalifitosPalifitos

Colourful houses on stilts in Castro
We were at Chiloe Island for the last few days, which was not quite within our plans. Heard from others that it´s very nice here, so we decided to come and take a look for ourselves. Chiloe Island is an archipelago at the southern part of Chile with rolling green hills and friendly people. Not forgetting their fantastic seafood.

Arrived in Castro, the capital of Chiloe. We have very little info abt the place and hop on to the nearest accomm we could see after we arrive at the bus terminal. The hostel is run by a local Chilean, which means we can't really communicate with her. But the best part of it is we have a cable TV in our room. We glued ourselves to the TV everynight, switching from HBO to AXN to Animal Planet, cos we have been deprived of watching TV for the past month.

Other than Castro, we also also spent our time at Dalcahue, Quinchao and Ancud. Managed to arrange for a farmstay in Ancud. We were very excited over the idea of staying in a farm that we forgot to ask what kind of farm is arranged for us until ZXL reminded us haha... Anyways, we had a wonderful time at a dairy farm, hosting us are Maria Luisa and family. At the same time, they were also hosting a group of students from US and Germany, whom helped us alot in being the translator between us and Maria. Maria and her husband, Uncle Hardy showed us how they make cheese, took us out to row boat and prepare their tradition Chiloe cuisine, Curanto. Curanto is dish that is traditionally prepare in the ground with hot stones. After heating the stones, they pile mussels, clams, potatoes, chicken, pork, and a homemake pancake, and covered in some leaves and soil. One hour later, tada... we uncover everything and pick out all the food, ready to be served. The mussel directly from the fire is soooo tasty! The chicken is so tender! All these without any seasoning, yuan zhi yuan wei. We had so much mussels that we probably will not eat mussels for the next few months.

Really enjoyed the stay in Chiloe, love the kampong feel, warmth and friendliness of the people.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

And after it´s done...And after it´s done...
And after it´s done...

Sorry, here´s the leftovers only. Didn´t waste any time taking photo cos the mussels are just too tempting. Yummy!


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb