Easter Island, the Moais and a little diving...


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Easter Island » Hanga Roa
July 29th 2010
Published: August 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

There are places you wish to go, places which are so remote they hit our imagination, places we dream about...and than one day, we plan, we go. Easter Island is seriously high in the "remote" top list in the world.

You can either take one of the 2 weekly flights from Tahiti with Lan, or take any of the daily flights from Santiago on Lan...even with those, it's still a flight just short of 5 hours on a 767.

Easter Island have another appeal for us...it's a diver place too! What to see diving here you'll tell me. Well, not many fishes, the place is volcanic and with very very little plancton activity. So forget about anything big, or anything in big school of fishes. So why coming...well...for the same reason. In season, which is in february, visibility hit easily 70 to 80 meters. You can try to beat this, you will not by much. We are in "low season" for diving. Visibility is "only" at around 40 meters. Still pretty amazing. But for once, the most impressive is to look at your fellow divers next to you. The water is so crystal clear...that you have the feeling you are not in the water...even at 33 meters deep!

It seems these may be some of the first underwater pictures on travelblog, or at least that I could find about Easter Island. Bear in mind that water temperature is around 21 degrees....this is cold...and the dive centers have only 3mm wetsuit plus 2mm "shirts"....this is not a lot. We did not feel cold, but it does seriously reduce the time of diving as you consume way more air...I know, if you do not dive, this means nothing to you! So few more dives in the pack...and really fun ones!

But Easter Island is mainly...you know, the big nice and gentle giants, the Moai! We saw them, a lot of them. You could go by walking (we did), car (no way), horses (60usd per person for 3 hours...this hurt, didn't do it), by bicycle (didn't do it), or simply rent a big toy. So yes, on for the big toy, and rented a quad. For info, these little things can go pretty fast on dirt roads. And dirt roads are full of holes! Fun! Fun! I was like a 12 years old on a go-kart...just with a lot more power and speed...helmet...oh yes!

Everything here is expensive, and we were not staying at the Explora! I wish, place is amazing, but when you take long holidays, you have to make some choices, sadly! We stay, thanks to the advise of another travelblogger at the Kaimana Inn...and I seriously do recommend the place. Our host, Marcellos was full of informations. We were also happy that bring with us all our wine (few bottles) from the continent, as well as few food supplies.

We stay a total of 4 nights, three days and this was perfect. We may come back on day for more diving, but we have had the opportunity to tour properly the full island. I just wish i would be able to surf...another time...maybe.

Our trip is soon touching to the end. I mean the South America leg. We are happy to soon get back to warmer weather...how do people leave for a full winter with temperatures below 20c...I know...I shouldn't, sorry.

The best part of our trip is coming soon, this is the part when Leslie join us. It's not yet the end of the school holidays, so be ready for more entries. But for now, we are still in the south emisphere.

So with love from us, and expect few more entries from South America, as I'm seriously late on entries....coming back very soon to you...


Additional photos below
Photos: 54, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



2nd August 2010

aaaaaaaaaaaa
hola Peter! have to tell u that I am seriously thinking about unsubscribing - the two of you are just teasing me lately with these pics&diving :D :D :D When exactly are u coming to my little Slovenia? saludos a los dos, jana
2nd August 2010

OMG!!!!
I've always wanted to go to Easter Island, ever since I can remember (that and Macchu Picchu have been in my mind since childhood) but I never thought about diving there: it looks sooooo amazing with the statues underwater! It's definitely on my wish list now, which, by the way, it's growing quickly since I started reading your blogs! Deni
2nd August 2010
The underwater moai

wow
This picture is GREAT!, it looks so amazing and "mysterious"!
3rd August 2010

Love You!!!
Thank you for this wanderful four weeks what we spend together!!! It was amaizing and I wont forget it!!! Love you!!!
5th August 2010
The underwater moai

where did u find this tiki at? that is so cool i have never seen 1 under water before

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb