San Pedro De Atacama - Sand Boarding


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Atacama » El Salvador
May 19th 2013
Published: May 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

After the Salt Flats, we crossed the Chile border into San Pedro.

After 1 month in Bolivia, I was exited as I had heard that Chile was very similar to European countries, and I was definitely ready for some tar roads and supermarkets, and Fridges so the drinks are cold (non-existent in Bolivia!)

There was 2 Australian guys on the bus, who had been told the same and was looking forward to it also. When we drove over the boarder, it was a little disappointing as it looked exactly like Bolivia maybe a different sign or two. Those who have been to a theme park, picture the section they often have the log rides in like The Wild West etc, this area is exactly what the town of San Pedro looks like! It is completely a tourist based town, developed to look that way and is situated in the desert.

There are endless restaurants, all quite fancy – and again tour agencies offering the Salt Flat tours up to Bolivia.

One thing we had heard was good, and wanted to give a try was the sand boarding! It was $30 Chilean pesos for the tour, where they drive you to the hill and take your gear for you and give you a ‘lesson’ these tours often run either early morning or late afternoon to miss the heat of the day.

Instead of doing a tour, the three of us decided to take the mush cheaper option of $CHP12, and hire bikes and boards and ride the 4km to the hill instead. The bike ride itself was fun, with boards on back we rode to the hill through all the vast desert mountain ranges, on the way we saw one guy who was extremely muddy and had walked in quick sand! Lucky his friend was there to help him out!

It was a long 4km hot bike ride, as the path often is just completely sand and you had to get off and walk some sections.

After the hard walk up the soft sands of the desert, we strapped in and went down, the boards are hard because your just in your runners so you have no contact with the board really and the only option is to just go straight as you cant get any edges really and hope you don’t get to much speed because you do actually get some pace and crash out!

With better gear it may have been a little more productive, but it was really fun and worth doing! The bike ride itself was a highlight, and I suggest if you choose to do it pack a lunch like we did and take lots of water!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb